[Peace] Tues. 7pm: CUCPJ to present Taser stories to Champaign city council

Brian Dolinar briandolinar at gmail.com
Mon Nov 2 20:52:03 EST 2015

CU Citizens for Peace and Justice will be reading stories of Taser
incidents before Champaign city council, which tomorrow night will be
voting to approve Tasers for police.

*We ask you to join us at the council meeting Tuesday night 7pm at the
Champaign city building (102 N. Neil St.).*

Since 2004, CUCPJ has stood against tasers, arguing that they are lethal
weapons, lack civilian oversight, and will be disproportionately used on
local African American residents. Attached is our policy statement we will
deliver. Below is one of many incidents of Taser abuse, this one from
Springfield, IL.

Peace, BD

On April 3rd, 2014 video and news accounts
<http://www.hlntv.com/video/2013/04/03/pregnant-woman-tasered> showed
Police in Springfield, Illinois throwing an eight-months-pregnant woman to
the ground, then used a taser on her. The video shows her screaming "I'm
pregnant" and a man tells the officers "she's pregnant" before she is
thrown and tased. A leading obstetrician says blunt trauma could hurt the
fetus and it "can't be a good idea" to expose an expectant mother to
electrical shock. The woman was being arrested for nothing more than
"resisting arrest" - not a violent felony.
--
Brian Dolinar, Ph.D.
briandolinar.com