[Peace] Fwd: [Announce] Mayor proposes half a million to hire 5 more police officers

kmedina67 kmedina67 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 5 22:38:43 UTC 2016

This is related to the various threads by Karen Aram and Francis Boyle.I just thought Peace would like to see the announcements posted to anti- racism groups....
Re: sanctuary communityUpdating the current status is important. Updating would include addressing some concerns such as:

-------- Original message --------From: "chynowet ." Subject: [Announce] Mayor proposes half a million to hire 5 more police	officers
Dear friends -
Come out tonight 7pm Urbana City Council chambers to show support for making Urbana a sanctuary city and to oppose the Mayor's proposal to spend another half million per year on more police in Urbana.
Here is model legislation to prohibit or limiting law enforcement engagement in:cooperation with immigration enforcementdiscriminatory profilingintelligence-sharing with federal authoritiesundercover infiltration of activist groups and religious institutionscooperation with military personnelover-policing or restricting protestsprying into social media accountsInstead of more police officers and police spying, we need to address the root of crime - poverty.
We don't have a single homeless shelter for men going into this winter season and by last count 250 children in Urbana are listed as homeless.
The solution is not dropping huge sums of cash on suppressing the symptoms of poverty, it is going to the roots. Clearly the Mayor has shown that she can find money when she considers it a priority.
There are 3 challengers for Mayor this Spring. Let all of them know that if they want our vote they need to get behind:
No more racial profiling, invest in programs not more police protect our civil liberties in the Trump-era with local legislation.
Danielle