[Peace] Fwd: Re: Ways to take action this week!

kmedina67 kmedina67 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 5 22:41:26 UTC 2016

On Mon, Dec 5, 2016 at 11:38 AM, Megan Flowers wrote:
Hi Friends,
Big thanks to all those who came out and supported CU Immigration Forum last week and talked about immigration in our cities! Another big thanks to our amazing volunteers and the panelists who helped make this happen. We are ready with you to turn that great energy into action. Check out some of the opportunities below to get involved this week:

1.Show up to the Urbana City Council meeting today, Monday December 5, at 7pm to support a proposal for Urbana to adopt Chicago's Sanctuary ordinance. You don't have to be an Urbana resident to show up and your presence alone will speak volumes! Agenda and other info here: http://www.urbanaillinois.us/node/6064

Commit to going to the meeting by filling out this form: https://goo.gl/forms/p19AU4LVDvihHRqI2. Add your name and contact information so that a CU-SURJ coordinator can help you stay accountable to your commitment.

We also need people to share stories, be they personal, ones you've heard in the community, or at our meeting last week. Please also consider adding your voice in this way too. It is important that we give context to this policy discussion.
2. Here is another way to get involved! Please consider attending this meeting with our friends at CU-FAIR this Wednesday, 12 Noon at St Patrick's Catholic Church in Urbana (708 W. Main St, Urbana). Details below. Many supporters of faith, churches, and community organizations comprise this group. This is an opportunity to learn more about how your church or organization can get involved in resettlement work and supporting immigrants through direct service avenues. Hope you can join us this Wednesday.
3. Attend the IF Student/Volunteer group meeting this Wednesday at 5:30pm here at the University YMCA, 1001 S Wright, Champaign. (in Clark Lounge, first floor of the Y). One of the items up for discussion is helping plan and organize Know Your Rights workshops for immigrant families in Champaign County. We will revisit our previous presentation format and update it with new curriculum provided by the Illinois Coalition for Immigrant and Refugee Rights and start planning for opportunities to present as early as this Saturday.
4. Enjoy some local music and support our work moving forward at the Supporting Immigrants Locally: A benefit concert! Happening this Saturday, December 10 from 8pm-10pm at Pizza M (208 W. Main Street, Urbana)
Show support for local efforts to implement immigrant-friendly policies and welcome immigrants in light of the recent election, Planner’s Network is hosting a concert to benefit the C-U Immigration Forum. The C-U immigration Forum works to support immigrants and educate the wider community about issues surrounding immigration.

Learn more about the Forum’s current efforts here: http://immigration-forum.blogspot.com/p/current-issues.html

If you would like to help out, but are unable to attend the concert, you can donate to the CU Immigration Forum here: http://immigration-forum.blogspot.com/p/support.html

Equipment needed: Flying Machine can provide one mic, mic stand, and a guitar amp which they use for vocals. Rachael can provide another amp. However if anyone could provide a PA system and some extra mics that would be great! Please pm Rachael on Facebook if you are willing to provide any of these things. Here is the link to the event on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/events/1596527103989730/
Hope to see you there!

5. Join us as we build resilient, organized local communities that defend human rights, meet human needs, and reflect the world we want to create together. Join The People’s Agenda Sunday, December 11th from 3-6pm at the Champaign Public Library (200 W. Green Street, Champaign, IL) to help build a coalition to defend our community against the next four years of devastating federal policy, and build our collective power to make change in upcoming elections.
→ Learn from local organizers the anticipated impacts of a federal policy on immigration, health care, the environment, and civil rights.
→ Be part of strategy discussions on how we can make a difference locally.
→ Join our “Get Plugged In” fair and learn how you can volunteer with local organizations. We'll be there! Come visit the Immigration Forum about volunteer opportunities and other ways to support.

The People’s Agenda develops strategy, education, and people power to build political power for the inclusion of and advocacy for those who have been systematically disempowered. For more information about The People’s Agenda, check out our website: thepeoplesagenda.com and find them on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.
6. Please take 2 minutes to call Governor Rauner and tell him to support the Illinois Is Safe Platform. It's so crucial that you add your voice. Please report your calls on our statewide coalition's website at: www.icirr.org/report

--
Best,
Megan Flowers Communications Director
E: megan at universityymca.org