[Peace] The Hill: Dershowitz: I'll leave Democratic Party if Ellison becomes DNC chair

Robert Naiman naiman at justforeignpolicy.org
Fri Dec 30 21:18:23 UTC 2016

Oh, wow. "Please don't throw me in that briar patch."

Note how he gives Obama and Kerry's refusal to veto the UNSC resolution
against Israeli settlements joint status as the sort of nonsense up with
which he will not put. Just to be clear about what Dershowitz is demanding
as his price for not defecting from the Democratic Party. It's not about
the Nation of Islam. It's about the settlements.

"I will not be a member of a party that represents itself through a
chairman like Keith Ellison *and through policies like that espoused by
John Kerry and Barack Obama <http://thehill.com/people/barack-obama>*,"
Dershowitz said.
http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/312243-
harvard-law-professor-i-will-leave-democratic-party-if-they

Dershowitz: I'll leave Democratic Party if Ellison becomes DNC chair
BY NIKITA VLADIMIROV - 12/30/16 03:03 PM EST

Harvard Law professor Alan Dershowitz said Friday he'll leave the
Democratic Party if Rep. Keith Ellison (D-Minn.) is appointed the next
chair of the Democratic National Committee (DNC).

“I’m going to tell you right here on this show, and this is news – if they
appoint Keith Ellison to be chairman of the Democratic Party, I will resign
my membership to the Democratic Party after 50 years of being a loyal
Democrat,” Dershowitz told the Fox Business Network
<http://www.foxbusiness.com/politics/2016/12/30/alan-dershowitz-if-keith-ellison-is-appointed-dnc-chair-will-resign-my-membership.html>
.

Dershowitz criticized Secretary of State John Kerry
<http://thehill.com/people/john-kerry> for his tough position on Israel and
predicted that the appointment of Ellison will make others leave the
Democratic Party.

"If they now appoint Keith Ellison, who worked with [Nation of Islam leader
Louis] Farrakhan, to be chairman of the DNC, you’re going to see a lot of
people leave,” he said.

Ellison has been vocal
<http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/thehill.com/homenews/campaign/308640-labor-leader-ellison-anti-semitism-accusations-are-a-smear-campaign>
about
his support for Israel after CNN reported recently on comments he made
several years ago defending the Nation of Islam leader.

Dershowitz also knocked the Obama administration after the passage of a
U.N. Security Council resolution last week condemning Israeli settlements.
The resolution passed 14-0 as the U.S. abstained.

"I will not be a member of a party that represents itself through a
chairman like Keith Ellison and through policies like that espoused by John
Kerry and Barack Obama <http://thehill.com/people/barack-obama>,"
Dershowitz said.

Kerry said this week that Israel's settlement policy poses a threat to
regional peace talks with the Palestinians.

"If the choice is one state, Israel can either be Jewish or democratic,”
Kerry said during a speech earlier this week. “It cannot be both, and it
won't ever really be at peace."

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu criticized
<http://thehill.com/policy/international/312012-netanyahu-blasts-skewed-kerry-speech-on-israel>
Kerry’s
speech on Wednesday, calling it a “great disappointment” that undermined
the Jewish state.
===

Robert Naiman
Policy Director