[Peace] July 4th - how about Celebrating America's History of Protest?

Stuart Levy stuartnlevy at gmail.com
Sun Jun 26 00:47:23 UTC 2016

Thinking about July 4th Parade time again.   We'll be sending in AWARE's
application today or tomorrow.

Karen Medina had an idea which I think is just brilliant, taking off on
the generic parade theme of "Celebrating America":

    How about Celebrating America's History of Protest?

We can go for anti-war anti-imperial protests (need a Eugene V Debs
poster!), anti-slavery protests (some of our old signs might fit, like
Elijah Lovejoy of Alton, IL), for protests throughout labor history
(collective bargaining, a 40-hour week, minimum wage...)!, for the Civil
Rights movement protests, for the great veterans' protest after WWI...
- there are lots of directions and we can choose whatever we most like.

Anyone mind adopting this (broad) theme?   Barring objections I'd like
to say this is what we'll do.