[Peace] Go see Moonlight!

Rachel Storm rachelstrm at gmail.com
Wed Nov 9 16:47:12 UTC 2016

Dear friends,

Check out this important film showing at the Art Theater co-op this
weekend. A message from the Art Theater's general manager:

Hi — this is Austin McCann from the Art Theater Co-op in Champaign. I
wanted to alert you to a really special & important film opening this
weekend at the Art. The film is Barry Jenkins’s *Moonlight*, which is about
the coming-of-age of a young queer black man in Miami, based on Tarell
Alvin McCraney’s play *In Moonlight Black Boys Look Blue*. It broke indie
box office records in its October release & is a major Oscar contender.
Critical and audience reviews have been ecstatic, & it is a rare
opportunity to see a film that tells such a badly-needed story so
beautifully. This soul-bearing, heart-breaking, but restorative film looks
at issues of race, sexuality, family & friendship, and masculinity with
unflinching compassion. We’re recommending the film to everyone in the
community and hoping you will all get a chance to come see the film. Please
help us promote the film in your community, to your family & friends &
groups. Here's more info:

*Moonlight @ The Art Theater Co-op*
(2016, U.S., 110 min, CC available)
*The MPAA rated this film R for drug use, language, & sexuality, but we’re
allowing everyone to come see the film who wants to. *
Opens Fri, Nov 11 — plays every day
Tickets: $6.50-9.75 — discounts for students, seniors, & youth
For showtimes & tickets click here <http://www.arttheater.coop/moonlight/>

*Special post-show discussion after Monday’s 7:00pm show*, featuring Dr.
Eric Darnell Pritchard (UIUC English — sexuality, gender, & race scholar,
Bryce Henson (UIUC African-American Studies & communications), & more TBA

A timeless story of human connection and self-discovery, *Moonlight*
chronicles the life of a young black man from childhood to adulthood as he
struggles to find his place in the world while growing up in a rough
neighborhood of Miami. At once a vital portrait of contemporary African
American life and an intensely personal and poetic meditation on identity,
family, friendship, and love, *Moonlight* is a groundbreaking piece of
cinema that reverberates with deep compassion and universal truths.
Anchored by extraordinary performances from a tremendous ensemble cast,
Jenkins’s staggering, singular vision is profoundly moving in its portrayal
of the moments, people, and unknowable forces that shape our lives and make
us who we are. (2016, Barry Jenkins, 110 min, R, DCP)

*“Leaves you feeling both stripped bare and restored, slightly better
prepared to step out and face the people around you, with all the
confounding challenges they present. There’s not much more you can ask from
a movie.” –Time Magazine” …  both lyrical and deeply grounded in its
character work, a balancing act that’s breathtaking to behold.”
—RogerEbert.com“Moonlight takes the pain of growing up and turns it into
hardened scars and private caresses. This film is, without a doubt, the
reason we go to the movies: to understand, to come closer, to ache,
hopefully with another.” —Time Out*

*Contact information: *
Austin McCann, General Manager @ Art Theater Co-op
austin at arttheater.coop