[Peace] FCNL: Block Bombs to Saudi Arabia

Robert Naiman naiman at justforeignpolicy.org
Thu Sep 8 19:30:05 UTC 2016

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Kate Gould, FCNL <fcnlinfo at fcnl.org>
Date: Thu, Sep 8, 2016 at 2:08 PM
Subject: Block Bombs to Saudi Arabia
To: Robert Naiman <naiman.uiuc at gmail.com>

Dear Robert Naiman,

I’m writing because your senators are particularly crucial in the vote
later this month to block the $1.15 billion arms sale to Saudi Arabia. Just
today, Senators Chris Murphy (CT) and Rand Paul (KY) have introduced a bill
to block the arms sale. FCNL is teaming up with other organizations across
the country for a national call-in day to generate cosponsors for this
bipartisan initiative.

*Will you call your senators and urge them to block the arms sale to Saudi
Arabia? *

If you haven’t heard about this bomb sale, you’re not alone. There hasn’t
been much attention to this massive bomb sale the Obama administration has
planned, even though the announcement comes in the midst of news of the
Saudi-led coalition bombing another school, and a fourth Doctors Without
Borders hospital in Yemen.

While Saudi Arabia is dropping the bombs, the U.S. is often supplying the
bombs and providing other support for the war. As Senator Chris Murphy
pointed out, “there’s an American imprint on every civilian life lost in
Yemen.”

*Please call the Capitol Switchboard at 1-855-86-NO WAR (1-855-686-6927
<%281-855-686-6927>) to urge both of your senators to join Murphy and Paul
in blocking bombs to Saudi Arabia. *Here are some talking points to help
you make your call:

   - Hello, my name is [NAME] and I’m a voting constituent calling from
   [CITY, STATE].
   - I’m calling to urge the senator to join the bipartisan Murphy-Paul
   bill to block the $1.15 billion arms deal to Saudi Arabia.
   - Saudi’s war in Yemen is a humanitarian catastrophe and the U.S.
   shouldn’t be rewarding the killing of civilians by sending more bombs.

Once you're done with your call, make sure to follow up with a message to
your senators and representative
<https://fcnl.org/r/E/NTE0Mjk4/Mzc1NzU/0/0/bmFpbWFuLnVpdWNAZ21haWwuY29t/aHR0cDovL3d3dy5jYXB3aXouY29tL2Zjb25sL2lzc3Vlcy9hbGVydC8_YWxlcnRpZD03MzYwNDY0MSZ0eXBlPUNPIyEjIQ/8480/1>
urging them to block the deal.

Thanks for all you do for peace,

Kate Gould
Legislative Representative
Middle East Policy

P.S. For more background on the U.S. supported Saudi-led war in Yemen, see the
*New York* *Times* editorial
<https://fcnl.org/r/E/NTE0MzAy/Mzc1NzU/0/0/bmFpbWFuLnVpdWNAZ21haWwuY29t/aHR0cDovL3d3dy5ueXRpbWVzLmNvbS8yMDE2LzA4LzE3L29waW5pb24vc3RvcC1zYXVkaS1hcm1zLXNhbGVzLXVudGlsLWNhcm5hZ2UtaW4teWVtZW4tZW5kcy5odG1sP19yPTAjISMh/8480/1>
calling on Congress to block the arms deal. You can also check out the
bipartisan House letter
<https://fcnl.org/r/E/NTE0MzA1/Mzc1NzU/0/0/bmFpbWFuLnVpdWNAZ21haWwuY29t/aHR0cHM6Ly9saWV1LmhvdXNlLmdvdi9tZWRpYS1jZW50ZXIvcHJlc3MtcmVsZWFzZXMvY29uZ3Jlc3NtYW4tbGlldS1sZWFkcy1iaXBhcnRpc2FuLWVmZm9ydC1wb3N0cG9uZS1hcm1zLXNhbGUtc2F1ZGktYXJhYmlhIyEjIQ/8480/1>
that FCNL supported, which calls on President Obama to delay the arms sale
to Saudi Arabia. You can also join a webinar
<https://fcnl.org/r/E/NTE0MzA4/Mzc1NzU/0/0/bmFpbWFuLnVpdWNAZ21haWwuY29t/aHR0cHM6Ly96b29tLnVzL3dlYmluYXIvcmVnaXN0ZXIvNTNhZjE3ZDI1YjI5ODgyOTY2ODU4YTUxMmJlNTEyM2EjISMh/8480/1>
on the war in Yemen hosted on Mon Sept 12 featuring Yemeni journalist Nawal
al-Maghafi and our partners at Oxfam, Human Rights Watch, Oxfam and Win
Without War.

About
<https://fcnl.org/r/E/NTE0MzEx/Mzc1NzU/0/0/bmFpbWFuLnVpdWNAZ21haWwuY29t/aHR0cDovL2Zjbmwub3JnL2Fib3V0IyEjIQ/8480/1>
Contact