[Peace] recap: Urbana council meeting re: Dakota Access Pipeline; coming events...

Robert Naiman naiman at justforeignpolicy.org
Tue Sep 13 14:23:31 UTC 2016

1. Last night the Urbana City Council agreed to put a resolution against
the Dakota Access Pipeline on their agenda for next week. Please come out
to the meeting Monday at 7pm if you can. Remember that 1) public
participation is at the beginning of the meeting, you don't have to stay
for the whole meeting if you don't want to/can't; and 2) if you don't
particularly feel called to speak, you can fill out the yellow public
participation paper and mark the boxes to say "I don't want to speak, but I
want to be recorded in support." And that gets recorded and announced and
reported in the media. So, for example, it says in the News-Gazette today
that "The council was also asked by eight members of the public to formally
oppose the Dakota Access Pipeline," and that's because eight people filled
out the yellow slip of paper:

[...]

The council was also asked by eight members of the public to formally
oppose the Dakota Access Pipeline, citing environmental concerns and
disturbance to Native American communities.
Mayor Laurel Prussing and Aldermen Charlie Smyth and [Alderman Eric]
Jakobsson said they will draft a resolution regarding pipeline opposition,
Native Americans and sustainability issues for the council to consider next
week.
[...]
http://www.news-gazette.com/news/local/2016-09-13/urbana-council-approves-tif-district-downtown-redevelopment.html

Also:

Some Urbana Residents Want a Resolution Passed in Opposition to the Dakota
Access Pipeline
http://www.wandtv.com/story/33077626/some-urbana-residents-want-a-resolution-passed-in-opposition-to-the-dakota-access-pipeline

There was also a WILL-AM story this morning but I haven't been able to find
it online.

You can still sign and share our MoveOn petition to the Council, we'll
re-deliver it next week:

. at cityofurbana: Join @CityMinneapolis To Say #NoDAPL
http://petitions.moveon.org/sign/cityofurbana-join-cityminnea?r_by=1135580

2. Lois Kain and others will be outside Strawberry Fields in Urbana over
the lunch hour today, starting at 10:30, circulating the Food & Water Watch
petition to President Obama against the pipeline.

https://actionnetwork.org/events/food-and-water-watch-at-strawberry-fields

3. Tomorrow evening at Channing-Murray:

A Film Screening of “This Changes Everything”, Naomi Klein’s film about
communities taking action on climate change

Wednesday, September 14th 6:30pm

Channing-Murray Foundation, 1209 W. Oregon

Free and open to the public/Refreshments will be served

Followed by discussion & avenues for action

https://www.facebook.com/events/329641967375716/

http://thefilm.thischangeseverything.org/about/

4.

Fri 9/16, 5-7pm, Scott Park, Champaign (between 2nd & 3rd Sts, between
Springfield and Healey)

    " In Solidarity with Standing Rock, the Earth, and all People, we will
gather as Protectors in Peace at Scott Park in Champaign, IL"

    Vigil/rally solidarity with the Standing Rock water protectors,
peacefully opposing the Dakota Access Pipeline.

    Organized by local Native people.   Everyone is welcome.

    https://www.facebook.com/events/1787572761459012/

===

Robert Naiman
Policy Director