[Peace] Fwd: Stand in Solidarity with Standing Rock

Rachel Storm rachelstrm at gmail.com
Wed Sep 14 02:13:18 UTC 2016

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Rachel Storm <rachelstrm at gmail.com>
Date: Tue, Sep 13, 2016 at 8:18 PM
Subject: Stand in Solidarity with Standing Rock
To: "secs.uiuc" <secs.uiuc at gmail.com>
Cc: Kate Insolia <kjinsolia at gmail.com>

​​

Chaŋtémawašte hípi! Glad you are here!

I'm writing to ask if your organization will join local
Native-American/Indigenous organizers to protect our water this upcoming
Friday, Sept. 16th from 5pm-7pm. The rally is being organized by local
Native-American groups, who will speak at the beginning of the rally,
followed by organizations and allies. Will your organization plan to attend
and speak out? We'd love to have you!

Read on for the details sent out in a press release. *To get on the speaker
schedule, contact Kate Insolia (cc'd), at kjinsolia at gmail.com
<kjinsolia at gmail.com>. *There will also be an opportunity on Friday at the
rally to sign up to speak.

Additionally, if your organization would like to add it's name to those
supporting the rally, please add your name here: https://docs.google.com/
document/d/1QCYfhF6QNc2w6ldBUh0ns6trJdcKFqyjuSTaNEtf3MI/edit?usp=sharing

We hope you can join us in protecting our water!

Kate Insolia

*Rally in Solidarity with Standing Rock*

*Scott Park*

*207 E. Springfield Ave*

*Champaign, IL 61821*

*Friday, September 16th from 5:00pm-7:00pm.*

*https://www.facebook.com/events/1787572761459012/
<https://www.facebook.com/events/1787572761459012/> *

*Champaign, IL-*

“Chaŋtémawašte hípi! Glad you are here!”

On Friday, Sept. 16th, Native American/indigenous organizers and their
allies will gather for a peaceful rally in Scott Park beginning at 5pm in
solidarity with the Camp of the Sacred Stone at Standing Rock in North
Dakota.

The Camp of the Sacred Stone has become the site of one of the largest
examples of Native-American peaceful protest in history led by the activism
of the Standing Rock Sioux Nation to protect our water and resist
construction of a controversial oil pipeline that would cut across the
American Midwest and end in Illinois.

Community members in Champaign-Urbana—joining the efforts of over 200
Native-American tribes to protect our water and our environment—call upon
their neighbors, friends, and colleagues to join them in standing in
solidarity with those protecting our earth.

Over the Labor Day weekend, security guards for pipeline used attack dogs
and pepper spray against the protectors in a manner reminiscent of civil
rights protests in the 1960s. Last Friday, a federal judge denied the
Standing Rock Sioux's request to stop construction of the 1,172-mile
pipeline, but the Justice Department, the Department of the Army, and the
Interior Department then blocked construction, pending further discussion. The
pipeline is desecrating land sacred to the Standing Rock Sioux and putting
critical water supplies at risk of contamination. One of the protectors,
Barbara Boring (Cherokee) explained, “this situation lends clarity to a
remarkable array of issues surrounding care for our beautiful planet Earth
and all of the people and other creatures who share it,” adding “The events
in North Dakota are an extraordinary example both of capitalist
institutions aligned against pro-human, pro-environmental interests, and
the 21st century model of how genocide is aimed at Indigenous peoples. This
is not a time to stay silent or passive to determine what we do. Come and
join the movement instead!”

Nonetheless, mainstream media coverage of these events has been largely
absent to date, and most news is being transmitted via social media. Those
gathering at Scott Park aim to stand in solidarity with #NODAPL aim to lend
their voices to the cause.

Local Native-American and Indigenous organizers emphasize that this event
is Native-organized, requesting “our entire community to join us, but honor
our request for this to be a Native-led and Indigenous-centered space.”
They plan to begin with a schedule of Indigenous speakers, followed by an
open mic for all in attendance. “Community, please join us. In our
tradition, all our children are our children. Everyone belongs here!”

*#####*