[Peace] School Supplies needed for CU Days, this weekend 8/11-12

Stuart Levy stuartnlevy at gmail.com
Mon Aug 7 18:31:02 UTC 2017

Hello peaceable people,

This is a request about, maybe, a different sort of contribution to
peace -- taking up a collection of/for school supplies for children in
our town.

This weekend (Fri-Sat Aug 11-12) is the annual C-U Days festival at
Douglass Park in north Champaign.   That is a low and moderate income
part of town, with a large Black population.

School supplies are expensive.    The local social justice group, Build
Programs, Not Jails, <https://programsnotjails.com/> will have a table
there - both to talk about public investment in public safety and
alternatives to incarceration, and to offer school supplies without
charge to any family who needs some.

I'm contributing, and I'll be at the park for some of Saturday
afternoon.   If you're willing to contribute something too, here are
some ways to help:

    1. Online donations:

        https://fundly.com/cu-days-school-supplies

    2. Checks written to:

        CU Citizens for Peace and Justice (they are a registered non-profit)

    3. Donate school supplies.   See list below of what's most needed.
    You could bring them by Douglass Park during C-U Days (
    https://champaignparks.com/cu-days/ ), 6-9pm Friday or Saturday
    starting at 11am.   If that is inconvenient, please let me know and
    we can arrange something!

    *Paper*

        College rule Loose leaf (200 count)
        1/4-inch graph paper