[Peace] Would you like to be part of a touring play this autumn? Spread the word!

Susan Parenti susanroseparenti at gmail.com
Thu Aug 10 15:10:56 UTC 2017

*LOOKING FOR ACTORS*
FOR A PLAY ABOUT GLOBAL MIGRATION IN THE MIDWEST
titled "Glo Heart / Displaced Lullaby"
based on a book by Faranak Miraftab,
*GLOBAL HEARTLAND:** Displaced Labor, Transnational Lives, and Local
Placemaking. *

*Who we are looking for:*
We are looking for actors who have personal experience with the issues of
the play (particularly the stories of the workers from Togo, Michoacán, and
Detroit) and an interest in performance as a way to engage audiences with
these issues. Acting experience is helpful but not required.

*Plans and contact*:
We are planning to take the play on tour to community spaces in Illinois
and elsewhere in the midwest in October & November 2017. We would like to
begin rehearsals before the end of August. The first performance is
scheduled for September 22 at the University Y as part of Welcoming Week.

We would like to hear from you whatever your level of interest: email
enslin.mark at gmail.com phone 212-518-3018.

*Who we are: *
The play was written by Susan Parenti and Mark Enslin, composers and
performers of experimental music and theater connected to desires for
egalitarian, participatory social change. Co-founders of the School for
Designing a Society. Faranak Miraftab approached us with the proposal for
this project about three years ago, and the present script follows several
stages of collaboration with other authors.

The play is directed by Latrelle Bright, a freelance theatre maker focused
on directing, solo performance and devising. When not making theatre, she
uses theatre exercises and techniques to engage groups and communities in
arts-based civic dialogue.

*The book and the play:*
The book follows the lives of workers from Togo, Mexico, and Detroit who
were recruited by Cargill in waves over the last 30 years. In the play, we
have three soliloquies by people from these places giving some account of
their path from home to the plant at Beardstown. There are also satirical
subplots -- a film crew making a propaganda movie about immigration; a pair
of unemployed locals trying to figure out what's happening in their town;
and a disastrous hole in the road giving rise to an industry trying to
exploit the disaster.

The stories include acknowledgment that Beardstown was a "sundown town" and
how the history of racism in our area has affected these stories, and also
how "immigrant" has become a political buzzword overshadowing people's
actual lives.

*Our main goals with the play:*
• To present to immigrant and African American audiences a sense of witness
and acknowledgment of collective experience and to convey a fundamental
message of solidarity;
• To show to 3rd, 4th, 5th generation European American audiences something
of the hardship but also contribution to Beardstown, to Illinois, to the
Midwest, and to the US made by recent migrant workers.
• To offer, with humor and seriousness, an alternate framing of the current
immigration debate.

--
*Susan Parenti*
*Educational Coordinator *