[Peace] last minute anti-tax-scam gathering in Davis' office -- noon Monday?

Karen Medina kmedina67 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 18 02:24:08 UTC 2017

I am in.
What: an "I'm ticked off at the reverse Robin Hood tax scam which our
US Rep Davis is surely going to vote for" event
When: 12noon on Monday, tomorrow the 18th of December, 2017
Where: Rodney Davis' Champaign office / 2004 Fox Dr, Champaign, IL 61820

If someone saved the signs from Saturday's event, bring them along.

If someone wants to bring an appropriate carol to sing, then bring it.
Personally, I am thinking of "You're a mean one, Mr. Davis"

-karen medina

On Sun, Dec 17, 2017 at 6:58 PM, Stuart Levy via Peace
<peace at lists.chambana.net> wrote:
> I want to propose an action which may well bear no fruit, but so what.
>
> I'm ticked off at the reverse Robin Hood tax scam which our US Rep Davis is
> surely going to vote for, probably on Tuesday.
>
> Proposal: whoever can, gather at Davis' office - say at noon on Monday,
> tomorrow the 18th, unless someone has a better suggestion.
>
> Previous gatherings have mostly been rallies outside on the parking lot.
> Instead I propose to pack the office, as people did for the health care
> bill.   About ten people can squeeze in, and if more come they can be in the
> hallway.   I'm not proposing a sit-in, not risking arrest, just an
> uncomfortably large number of people coming to say we want Davis to vote
> Hell No and not sell out our future for the sake of wealthy people and
> corporate profits, and stick around for maybe a half hour or an hour or
> until they throw us out.
>
> Problem: I may well be unable to be there myself (expecting a
> yet-to-be-scheduled work meeting, which I'll be unable to skip, may get
> scheduled for that hour).
>
> There's lots of source material, but here's a middle-of-the-road article
> from Bloomberg of all places saying, basically, that corporate America
> doesn't need the money, and naming things that we do need -- "The largest
> economic challenges we face include a skills crisis that our public schools
> are not addressing, crumbling infrastructure that imperils our global
> competitiveness, wage stagnation coupled with growing wealth inequality, and
> rising deficits that will worsen as more baby boomers retire.  The tax bill
> does nothing to address these challenges. In fact, it makes each of them
> worse."
>

> https://www.bloomberg.com/view/articles/2017-12-15/this-tax-bill-is-a-trillion-dollar-blunder
>
> Who would be in?

-- karen medina
"The really great make you feel that you, too, can become great." - Mark Twain