[Peace] UPTV programs this week

Carl G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Sun Jan 1 09:20:53 UTC 2017

Mort—

I’m delighted that you found the chat fascinating, and, yes, these are minimalist versions of the format for both shows: AWARE ON THE AIR is ideally a multi-member panel discussion, centering on US war; and NEWS FROM NEPTUNE, more extensive in topics and more concentrated in personnel (no more than three).

NEPTUNE began 25 years ago as un hommage to Chomsky’s ideas (hence the name), and his tilt to Clinton (because of the Republicans’ failure to recognize climate catastrophe) is the first serious position of his I can recall disagreeing with - and obviously not about climate change, just who was the lesser evil. And the jury is obviously out.

That said, I think it’s worth while to revisit Chomsky/Ashcar on Libya: their positions were not identical, and both were better informed on the situation than most. (Roughly, Chomsky thought the initial UN resolution could be justified, but definitely not the almost immediate hijacking of it by Clinton et al. for an air assault on Libya.)

And what Obama - and Putin - did in Syria is perhaps the worst reported (not by accident) story in the US media since the 1960s.

Inshallah, we’ll be able to talk about it in the new year. Thank you indeed for the encouragement. —CGE