[Peace] [Peace-discuss] Inside Trump Defense Secretary Pick’s Efforts to Halt Torture - The New York Times

Carl G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Wed Jan 4 20:59:09 UTC 2017

These are important articles.

Those who draw parallels between Trump and Mussolini/Hitler should consider militarism.  Fascist movements in 20th-century Europe were militaristic and belligerent; they attacked neighbors (Ethiopia, Poland) by design.

But Trump ran for president, criticizing Clinton's belligerent militarism, past and future.

Also, the states in which Italian and German fascism arose - Weimar Germany and the kingdom of Italy - were notably pacific. But the US in the last two generations has been “the greatest purveyor of violence in the world today" (M. L. King). Since World War II, US presidents have killed more than 20 million people in 37 nations and President Obama is the first US president - ever - to have been at war throughout two presidential terms. He has attacked eight countries (two more than George Bush), and he is today conducting what has been called “the most extreme terrorist campaign of modern times” - his drone assassinations. He has killed thousands of civilians with drones, including US citizens and hundreds of children. His chosen successor indicated that she would do the same, and more.

I do think war was the most important issue in the recent election. But Trump wasn’t the fascist.  —CGE