[Peace] AWARE at the Farmer's Market tomorrow, 8am-noon

Carl G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Fri Jul 7 16:47:53 UTC 2017

Here’s the flyer we’ll be distributing:

The U.S. is Illegally Making War in the Mideast
Pres. Trump: Bring U.S. Troops and Weapons Home

The U.S. military is today killing people in seven Mideast and African countries - Afghanistan, Iraq, Syria, Libya, Yemen, Somalia, and Pakistan. Thousands of U.S. troops are fighting in these countries, although most Americans don’t know that.  In addition, the 70,000-member U.S. ‘Special Operations Command’ - American death squads - are active in three-quarters of the countries of the world. Their activities include kidnapping (‘rendition’), torture, and murder.

{Flags mark U.S. troop presence}

The U.S. government says that we’re fighting terrorism, but we are in fact creating terrorists - in response particularly to the drone assassinations, “the most extreme terrorist campaign of modern times” - which have killed more than 5,000 people, including U.S. citizens and hundreds of children.

Since World War II ended in 1945, the U.S. has attempted to exercise military control over the Mideast and its energy resources. The U.S. doesn’t need oil from the Mideast, but Mideast gas and oil are needed by America’s economic competitors in Europe and Asia, and so control over them gives the U.S. a major advantage over China, Germany, and other countries - a chokehold which benefits only the American economic elite, the one percent. In 2003 the US illegally invaded Iraq - and killed perhaps a million people for that purpose - and now has thousands of troops and mercenaries throughout the Mideast.

Those of us in AWARE, like other anti-war groups in the United States and around the world, call upon President Trump to
~ (1) establish a foreign policy based on diplomacy, international law, and human rights;
~ (2) end U.S. wars in the Mideast and war provocations against Russia (in Eastern Europe) and China (in the South China Sea), and stop the drone assassinations;
~ (3) cut military spending by at least 50% and close the more than 700 foreign military bases (neither Russia nor China has more than twelve); bring U.S. troops (and weapons) home;
~ (4) stop U.S. support for human rights abusers, notably Israel and Saudi Arabia; and
~ (5) lead on global nuclear disarmament.

ANTI-WAR ANTI-RACISM EFFORT - on Facebook at <AWARE of Champaign Urbana Illinois>
~ U.S. troops & weapons out of the Mideast ~ Medicare for all ~ Universal basic income ~