[Peace] Allen Hall visiting artist is Shing Yin Khor

Karen Medina kmedina67 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 22 23:53:41 UTC 2018

Dear Peace,

Allen Hall has another full schedule of artists for this semester.

Right now, Cartoonist, Shing Yin Khor, is at Allen Hall this week.
She creates comics, stories, zines, and other art at the intersection
of race, gender, immigrant stories, and queerness.
All programs are open to the public and take place in Allen Hall, 1005
W. Gregory Drive, Urbana. Free parking is available after 5pm in the
garage across the street.

[Sunday events already past, my apologies]
Monday, January 22
7pm - Cartooning and Drawing Workshop (South Rec Room)
An introductory guide to cartooning! An exploration of how to make
simple and engaging comic work, especially memoir and autobiographical
work. No drawing experience necessary.
Activity: Making a one page (or more) comic or drawing that will be
compiled into a collaborative zine.

9pm - Open Studio Tea-time (guest apartment)
Let’s sketch and draw together. We’ll provide a pile of art supplies
and some snacks.

Tuesday, January 23
7pm - Building Object-Narratives/Prop Design 101 (South Rec Room)
An introduction to narrative prop design for fictional characters. We
will fill out character sheets for personal characters that exist
within a fictional collaboratively invented universe, and brainstorm
and discuss how to make meaningful and symbolic props that help to
build their stories.
Activity: Mini-shields and objects: Participants will paint and
distress small symbolic heraldic devices (or logos!) or other objects,
on wooden blocks, that pair with their invented characters. These can
be turned into wall hangings, or just art objects to keep.

9pm - Queerness in Comics: Zine and Comics Reading and Discussion/Open
Studio (guest apartment)

Wednesday, January 24
7pm - Memoir and Community: A Zine Making Workshop (South Rec Room)
Let’s talk about the history of zines, take a look at collaborative
activist zine culture, and make some of our own!
Activity: Making one page foldy zines! We’ll make copies of all of
them so that we can build our own personal zine libraries on Thursday.

9pm - Race and Comics: Zine and Comics Reading and Discussion/Open
Studio (guest apartment)

Thursday, January 25
7pm - Lamp Making (South Rec Room)
We’re going to learn basic electrical circuits (practical circuits and
LEDs), and make some lamps or a light-up prop using found objects and
vintage materials!
Activity: We’re making lamps! They’re gonna be pretty rad lamps!

9pm - Zine and Art Sharing Party (guest apartment)
We’ll hand out copies of the collaborative zine (from Monday), and the
individual zines made earlier in the week. We’ll also have the props
and other objects built during the week out on display as a little
gallery show. Come and build your own personal zine libraries, and
look at art (and drink tea)!