[Peace] [Peace-discuss] 'Consistent ethic of life'

bjornsona at ameritech.net bjornsona at ameritech.net
Mon Jun 18 20:37:23 UTC 2018

Dear Carl: I just found this podcast: "Future Left" and thought you might find some of the topics and voices represented here interesting. Torie Bosch & Roy Scranton are on this  Nov. 17, 2017 edition discussing an anthology of stories they edited which imagines our future. It starts slow- gets much better halfway through.   I am a Roy Scranton fan since his essays were published in the NYT, and now collected in his short, frank, says-what-very-few-others-wiil-say book: Learning to Die in the Anthropocene. (Which possibly should have been titled Learning to Live in the Anthropocene!)
https://player.fm/series/podcasts-future-left/ep-80-what-future-w-torie-bosch-roy-scranton

Scranton, Roy. Learning to Die in the Anthropocene (City Lights Books: San Francisco,CA) 2015. ISBN 978-0-87286-669-0 www.city lights.com
Sent from my LG Phoenix 2, an AT&T 4G LTE smartphone
------ Original message------From: Carl G. Estabrook via Peace-discussDate: Mon, Jun 18, 2018 12:00 PMTo: Peace-discuss List;Cc: prairiegreens at lists.chambana.net;Peace;Subject:[Peace-discuss] 'Consistent ethic of life'
A number of our friends and colleagues on these lists seem to have been disturbed recently by my defense of what has been called a ‘consistent ethic of life’:
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Consistent_life_ethic>.
That reminds me, tangentially, of a dinner party we gave for our late friend Nat Hentoff in 1992: our dozen guests were all good liberals, but Nat and I were the only ones who said we wouldn't vote for Bill Clinton. I think we were right. —CGE