[Peace] Urge Durbin, Duckworth to co-sponsor SJ Res 54, end Saudi-imposed famine in Yemen

Robert Naiman naiman at justforeignpolicy.org
Thu Mar 1 19:32:27 UTC 2018

This kind of opportunity comes around almost never. The provisions of law
allowing a single Member of Congress to force a debate and vote on ending
U.S. participation in an unauthorized war have never been invoked in the
Senate since the War Powers Resolution was passed in 1973. And, I believe
that what Durbin does is going to be key. Bernie announced on the Senate
floor today that Durbin, Warren and Booker are co-sponsoring the bill.
Which is great. But I want Durbin to do more than that. I want him to lobby
Claire McCaskill of Missouri and Joe Donnelly of Indiana to support the
bill. That's why I want Durbin to know that lots and lots of people in
Illinois care about this.

McCaskill and Donnelly were two of the five Senate Democrats that voted in
June to keep arming Saudi Arabia's war in Yemen. That's why McCaskill and
Donnelly are key.