[Peace] immigration seminar this Sunday, 4-6pm, March 4

Susan Parenti susanroseparenti at gmail.com
Thu Mar 1 20:08:23 UTC 2018

Hi friends—we re-convene this Sunday, March 4, 4-6pm.

Hour 1: Questions to research for this Sunday:  concerning immigration,
what is fake and being created to manipulate and control? What are the
actual needs?

Hour 2: presentation by seminar participate Devin Carter Day, on his
project:

*My project is a case study of the Cleveland 'Dream Neighborhood', which is
a project that brings together refugee resettlement nonprofit agencies,
community development corporations, a local school, local council people,
small businesses, and numerous refugees and their native-born neighbors.
Mostly it's a project about refugee integration, community building, and
neighborhood revitalization.*

*Because Cleveland is a 'legacy' (or Rust Belt) city, it experienced rapid
depopulation (like Detroit, Baltimore, Pittsburgh, and others) throughout
the last 50 years. Attracting immigrants and resettling refugees is seen as
a strategy to make Midwestern legacy cities more viable. This project
addresses two neighborhoods on Cleveland's near West side, where housing
vacancy and vacant lots are being renovated to recapture and improve land
values. The rehabbed structures are rented to newly resettled refugees in
these two neighborhoods, where they're close to a multilingual public
school, jobs, and other resources to advance integration and
multiculturalism.*

*But there's a lot more to it than that, which I can touch upon when I
share my research. —Devin Carter Day*

--
*Susan Parenti*
*Educational Coordinator *