[Peace] I endorse Betsy Dirksen Londrigan in IL-13

Robert Naiman naiman at justforeignpolicy.org
Tue Mar 20 00:57:44 UTC 2018

https://www.facebook.com/robert.naiman/posts/10157099169132656

I endorse Betsy Dirksen Londrigan for Congress in IL-13.

I like all four serious candidates. I met with all of them. I went to every
forum I could. They're all thoughtful, knowledgeable, and progressive,
their intentions are pure, and they're in it to win it. I will vigorously
support whoever wins the primary, in order to defeat Rodney Davis in
November.

But in the primary, I have to choose one. I choose Betsy Dirksen Londrigan.

First: I engaged the four candidates about our campaign to end unauthorized
U.S. participation in the catastrophic Saudi war in Yemen. Of the four
candidates, Betsy Dirksen Londrigan listened to me the best. It wasn't
close, actually. I explained how this war is different from the other wars,
and she got it. The first time I engaged her, she didn't really understand
what I was talking about; but none of them did. Betsy Dirksen Londrigan
said: send me something to read. So I did. The next time I saw her, Betsy
Dirksen Londrigan knew *exactly* what I was talking about. Because she read
the thing I send her and she understood it.

I don't need a know-it-all representing me in Congress. Know-it-alls are a
dime a dozen. I need someone who listens to what I have to say and tries to
understand it. By that criterion, it's Betsy Dirksen Londrigan in a walk.

Second: I like the fact that Betsy Dirksen Londrigan is endorsed by Dick
Durbin. It's not that I think Dick Durbin is the alpha and omega. I've had
frustrations with Dick Durbin. But as a practical matter, on my issues, if
we don't have Dick Durbin, we're not even on the field. But if we do have
Dick Durbin, then we can get all the Dick Durbin people onside. Today was a
perfect example. I was very frustrated that on the eve of the Senate vote
on the Sanders-Lee-Murphy resolution, I didn't know where Tammy Duckworth
was. So I engaged Durbin's people and said: *where's Tammy Duckworth*?
Within an hour Tammy Duckworth's staffer, who had been dodging me and other
peace activists, got back with me to confirm that Tammy Duckworth would
vote yes on the Sanders-Lee-Murphy bill. So the fact that Betsy Dirksen
Londrigan is a Dick Durbin person is a big plus for me, because it gives me
great confidence that I can rely on Betsy Dirksen Londrigan when I need
her.

Third: all else equal, I like the fact that she is endorsed by Emily's
List. Not that I'm totally in love with the politics of Emily's List in
general. But they are also in it to win it, and I'm confident that if Betsy
Dirksen Londrigan wins the primary, Emily's List will be all-in to help her
win the general, and she's going to need a lot of money and help to beat
Rodney Davis in November.

Fourth: I strongly support increasing the diversity of our Illinois
Congressional delegation. Obviously that doesn't mean I have to support
someone whose politics are diametrically opposed to my own. But if it's a
jump ball, if it's close enough, "the tie goes to the runner." And, in
fact, Betsy Dirksen Londrigan is my best candidate anyway. She points out
that only three members of our current delegation are women, and says
that's unacceptable and we should change that. I agree. She's right about
that. So while I certainly wouldn't make the decision on this criterion
alone, and I wouldn't want anyone else to, I think it's perfectly wonderful
to have this criterion in the mix. Given everything else that's true, I
count this as a strong plus.