[Peace] GOTV as if your life depends on it...because it does

Debra Schrishuhn deb.pdamerica at gmail.com
Sun Oct 7 10:37:54 UTC 2018

With the Kavanaugh confirmation--the epitome of elite white male
privilege--we have one tool left--our votes.

The candidates have been chosen. I wish more progressive candidates
were on the November ballot in many races, but the positions of
governor, statewide officials, Congressional representatives,
countywide officials, county board members, and judges will be
selected from the persons listed on the ballot. Even if the choice is
not optimal, we will decide who represents us locally, statewide, and
federally, and each of us will make that decision by our action or
inaction in  voting.

Reactionary and authoritarian elements in our country want us to be
cynical and disengaged. They revel when they hear cries of, "My vote
doesn't matter"; "they're all crooks"; "they're all the same"; "there
is no difference." That's how bad people get on the ballot (to put bad
people on the Supreme Court or put children in cages or allow
continued bombing in Syria, for example) in the first place.

Get out and vote, even if the choices are less than perfect this time.
Then hold the winners accountable, and recruit and support better
people to run next time. Democracy is not a spectator sport. GOTV as
if your life depends on it...because it does.

Here is a disturbing article from the Atlantic:

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2018/10/the-cruelty-is-the-point/572104/

Please read it, then vote. You may request a mail-in ballot, or you
may vote early at the County Clerk's office, 1776 E Washington,
Urbana, M-F 8:30-4 pm. If you need to update your voter registration,
you may do so regularly through Oct 9, or utilize Grace Period
register/vote the same day option, also at the County Clerk's office.

If you are affiliated with the Democratic Party, we need poll
watchers. Contact info at champaigncountydemocrats.com or individual
candidates to get training, assignments, and credentials. GOTV as if
your life depends on it...because it does.

Vote. It's all we have left.

Deb