[Peace] Avaaz: Urgent! Stop American bombs killing children in Yemen

Robert Naiman naiman.uiuc at gmail.com
Fri Dec 6 14:23:48 UTC 2019

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Will Davies - Avaaz <avaaz at avaaz.org>
Date: Fri, Dec 6, 2019 at 9:04 AM
Subject: Urgent! Stop American bombs killing children in Yemen
To: naiman.uiuc at gmail.com <naiman.uiuc at gmail.com>

Dear friends,

*This is an urgent update! We have just days before leaders in Congress
decide whether to stop arms sales and military support for Saudi's bloody
war in Yemen. Word from Washington is that Democrats might give in to
Republican pressure during final negotiations of the defense spending bill,
and remove provisions which would help stop the bombing -- unless they hear
from us!If we flood these leaders with calls now, we have a chance to save
thousands of lives:*

*Call Senator Chuck Schumer: 1-833-STOPWAR*
*Call Senator Jack Reed: (202) 224-4642*

*Call Speaker Nancy Pelosi: (202) 225-4965*
*Call Rep. Adam Smith: (202) 225-8901*

Here are some talking points to help you (the more personalized, the
better):

   - Please guarantee all Yemen provisions remain in the defense spending
   bill to stop American weapons & our military being used in this cruel war.
   - Saudi Arabia has been blacklisted by the UN for 3 years in a row for
   killing children in conflict. We shouldn’t be selling them any more weapons.
   - There is a stalemate in Yemen -- more military support won’t end the
   conflict. The only way forward is a negotiated solution.

*Tip: be friendly and polite, but don't back down. Congress office hours
are 9am to 5.30pm, Monday to Friday. Then, please email yemen at avaaz.org
<yemen at avaaz.org> to let us know how your call went!*

*The Saudis are dropping American-made cluster bombs in Yemen, killing
scores of children.* Cluster bombs were invented by the Nazis -- designed
to kill as many people as possible. Shamefully, the Trump administration
continues to sell them to Saudi Arabia which has been bombing Yemen since
2015, in a war which has claimed over 100,000 lives.

We’ve campaigned on this issue many times before -- let’s do it again until
we finally see an end to this awful war.

With hope and determination,

Will, Rewan, Nat, Mo, Marigona, Luis and the entire Avaaz team

*Avaaz is a 51-million-person global campaign network* that works to ensure
that the views and values of the world's people shape global
decision-making. ("Avaaz" means "voice" or "song" in many languages.) Avaaz
members live in every nation of the world; our team is spread across 18
countries on 6 continents and operates in 17 languages. Learn about some of
Avaaz's biggest campaigns here <https://www.avaaz.org/en/highlights/?footer>,
or follow us on Facebook <https://www.facebook.com/Avaaz>, Twitter
<https://twitter.com/Avaaz>, or Instagram
<https://www.instagram.com/avaaz_org/>.