[Peace] JFP alert: BREAKING: Rep. Smith GIVING UP on ending war on Yemen??

Robert Naiman naiman.uiuc at gmail.com
Fri Dec 6 16:01:52 UTC 2019

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Just Foreign Policy <info at justforeignpolicy.org>
Date: Fri, Dec 6, 2019 at 10:44 AM
Subject: BREAKING: Rep. Smith GIVING UP on ending war on Yemen??
To: <naiman.uiuc at gmail.com>

[image: Just Foreign Policy]
<http://org.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=wO1JDOcstnEi0JFKLlyBUoHPaX%2FIQI%2Fs>

Dear Robert,

I have urgent and disturbing news:  Rep. Adam Smith, Chair of the House
Armed Services Committee and the lead Democratic Party negotiator for the
defense policy bill (known as the NDAA), made public remarks yesterday
<http://org.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=OveoyT6oh8mL3drvn3xbl4HPaX%2FIQI%2Fs>
indicating that he may be abandoning the effort to end U.S. participation
in the war on Yemen.

Peace advocates like you and me, together with our allies in Congress, have
worked for months to ensure that the amendment to end U.S. involvement in
the Yemen war -- which passed the House with 240 votes -- would be included
in the final NDAA.  Rep. Smith was the lead sponsor of this amendment
(known as the “Smith-Khanna-Schiff-Jayapal” amendment), which experts say
<http://org.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=y1SKOVHodTPR6x%2BscqCOp4HPaX%2FIQI%2Fs>
could ground the Saudi warplanes.  Smith has repeatedly assured us that he
would fight for this amendment in the secretive NDAA negotiation process.
He repeatedly told us that he would deliver results towards ending this war
in the NDAA. Now Rep. Adam Smith says there may be nothing he can do for
the millions of starving people in Yemen -- because he doesn’t want to
limit the Saudi regime’s ability to go to war with Iran.

Maybe we shouldn’t be shocked. Before thousands of activists like you
pressured him, Adam Smith had a long history of hawkish behavior:

He voted for the Iraq War, when most Democrats in Congress were opposed

He opposed
<http://org.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=XeIHIo1BwtIj44%2BLLijc3YHPaX%2FIQI%2Fs>
winding down the war in Afghanistan under Obama

He was one of just 16 Democrats who voted to continue sending horrific
cluster bombs to the Saudi regime

His reelection campaign was directly funded
<http://org.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=Fbn0DW4ykeLt4ZkpoqgCrYHPaX%2FIQI%2Fs>
by the military industrial complex

But grassroots pressure from people like you moved him to join our effort
for peace in Yemen. And today -- perhaps more than any other day -- we need
to make our presence felt by keeping his office phone ringing off the hook.
Can you take a few minutes to call one or both of his offices?

Rep. Smith’s personal office number is: (202) 225-8901

Rep. Smith’s committee office number is: (202) 225-4151

When you reach a staffer, you can say something like:

“I was shocked to learn that Adam Smith said he might give up on ending the
Saudi war in Yemen in the NDAA.  The lives of millions of people are at
stake in the worst humanitarian crisis on earth. I strongly urge Rep. Smith
to honor his commitment to fight for provisions in the NDAA to end U.S.
participation in the war.”

*If you are on Twitter, can you retweet **this tweet*
<http://org.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=msmDNRqdTFmw%2BGuLETMsKUiIxyudmwQR>*
by our allies at Demand Progress who are also "sick of **two-faced cynical
politics" and **urge people to call Rep. Smith?*

Thanks for all you do to make U.S. foreign policy more just,

Erik Sperling,

Executive Director, Just Foreign Policy

*If you think our work is important, please make a donation to support it.*

*http://www.justforeignpolicy.org/donate *
<http://org.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=T%2BAAjfxBiyaHsgDoErleaIHPaX%2FIQI%2Fs>

[image: Please support our work. Donate for a Just Foreign Policy]
<http://org.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=6P%2F33cUER1CW%2Bwl57KLik4HPaX%2FIQI%2Fs>

© 2019 Just Foreign Policy