[Peace] Kacich: for a billion dollars, we could buy Amtrak its own tracks between here and Chicago

Robert Naiman naiman at justforeignpolicy.org
Mon Jan 14 22:16:57 UTC 2019

http://www.news-gazette.com/news/local/2019-01-04/toms-mailbag-jan-4-2019.html

[...]

Could Amtrak build a rail line?

*"How much would it cost to buy Amtrak its own set of tracks between
Champaign and Chicago so that the commuter trains wouldn't get stuck behind
the Canadian National freight trains and the Amtrak trains could go their
maximum speed of 80 miles an hour?"*

First off, Amtrak does have the authority to purchase right of way and
build its own tracks, said Rick Harnish, who is the executive director of
the Midwest High Speed Rail Association.

And there is plenty of space to add a set of tracks to replace that set
that was removed by the Canadian National Railroad.

But no estimate has been made of how much it would cost, said Harnish and
others contacted.

But we can offer a rough guess of the cost, based on what Amtrak did on its
284-mile Chicago to St. Louis corridor over the last eight years. In that
project Amtrak installed new rails, concrete ties and other improvements in
order to allow for the operation of 110 mph trails. It was funded largely
by federal economic stimulus dollars allotted during President Barack
Obama's administration at a cost of $1.95 billion.

Since that project is about twice the length of the 127-mile Chicago to
Champaign route, let's say this one would be a billion dolars, allowing for
inflation.

[...]