[Peace] [Peace-discuss] News from Neptune #420 notes

David Green davidgreen50 at gmail.com
Sat May 11 16:29:47 UTC 2019

Thank you Jeff.

My apologies for confusing Ernie Terrell with Sonny Liston regarding "Say
my name."

Here is a link to Saez Zucman article on wealth:
https://www.nber.org/papers/w20625

Here is the letter that I read yesterday, which will be published in a few
days:

In 2014, Berkeley economists Emmanuel Saez and Gabriel Zucman published,
through the National Bureau of Economic Research, “Wealth Inequality in the
United States since 1913: Evidence from Capitalized Income Tax Data,”
available online with easily readable charts. With sound data and
transparent methodology, they argue that since 1979 “the rise of wealth
inequality is almost entirely due to the rise of the top 0.1% (1/1,000)
wealth share, from 7% to 22% in 2012—a level almost as high as 1929.”

In 2012 dollars, between 1986 and 2012 the wealth growth rate of the bottom
90% of families averaged .1% per year, resulting in average wealth of
$84,000, 22% of total wealth, down from 36%. Meanwhile, the growth rate of
the top 1% (1.6 million families) averaged 3.9% per year, resulting in
average family wealth of $14 million and a 42% share.

Of this 1%, the top 0.1% (160,000 families) accounted for over half, a 22%
share (equal to the bottom 90%, 144 million families), with an average of
$73 million. Moreover, the top 0.01% (16,000) of families (1/10,000)
possessed 11% ($6 trillion) of private wealth, having increased its share
from 2% in 1979.

Globalization, financialization, tax “reform,” out-sourcing, union-busting
and austerity have enforced this trend. Private equity, as in Larry Gies
and Madison Industries, is one piece of this neoliberal puzzle. When the
university celebrates his donation of appropriated wealth, it celebrates
the relentless financial warfare he and the capitalist class wage against
the vast majority of workers and families.