[Peace] Actions that can be taken: Tomorrow is the first of the month and millions of tenants are at risk of losing their homes in the middle of a global pandemic

kmedina67 kmedina67 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 31 20:40:57 UTC 2020

Tomorrow is the first of the month and millions of tenants are at risk of losing their homes in the middle of a global pandemic – unless...I am forwarding the following, which is from the ACLU, not because I want all on the peace list to join the ACLU, but because I know this group is not all politically left. The one thing we can agree upon is that having people experience poverty costs the community more if dealing with it is kicked down the road of time:* people evicted are very likely to end up homeless, * homelessness takes more money to get out of than just money because it also creates trauma in the lives. * There are not enough homeless shelters in our town let alone all towns across the US. * homeless people will be arrested for minor crimes (like being parked overnight in a no parking zone). * Incarcerating people costs a lot more money than paying their rent. The actions the ACLU are proposing are worth considering joining, even if you are fiscally conservative. I send this to "peace" as it is a list of actions.I send this to "peace- discuss" as a discussion opportunity.Sincerely,Karen Medina
-------- Original message --------From: ACLU <aclu at aclu.org> Date: 8/31/20  14:07  (GMT-06:00) To: kmedina67 at gmail.com Subject: Rent is due tomorrow

Here's what can be done immediately.

 ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌  ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌  ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌  ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌  ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌  ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌

Karen –
Tomorrow is the first of the month and millions of tenants are at risk of losing their homes in the middle of a global pandemic – unless we act.
Congress will be back in session in one week, so here's what can be done immediately: Send a message to your senators and representative now and urge them to include at least $100 billion in funding toward emergency rental assistance in the next COVID-19 relief bill – and extend and expand the already-expired federal eviction moratorium.
Kansas City resident Tiana Caldwell knows exactly how critical this situation is. She and her husband Derrick lost their jobs as COVID-19 hit.
It was only because of a local moratorium that they were able to keep a roof above their heads. Since that expired, both they and her son could now be unhoused in a pandemic. A risk made far greater by the fact Tiana is a cancer survivor and immunocompromised.
Karen, this is one story out of far too many. Nationally, it is estimated that 30 to 40 million people could be at risk of eviction in the next several months, according to the Aspen Institute.
Communities of color and low-income women are amongst the most vulnerable due to a number of reasons, including staggering pay disparities, wealth gaps, and racial discrimination. And because of these historical inequalities and racism, Black women have evictions filed against them at double the rate of white renters or higher in 17 out of 36 states.
But Congress has the power to prevent this coming wave of mass evictions – and help minimize the racial and economic inequities that are being exacerbated by this pandemic.
Let's make sure Congress gives us the rental relief we need. Send a message to your senators and representative now.
Thank you for taking action,

Causten Rodriguez-Wollerman
Deputy Director of Equality Division Campaign, ACLU

Donate Now

This email was sent to: kmedina67 at gmail.com

Sign up for ACLU texts |
Unsubscribe

Please note: If you forward or distribute, the links will open a page with your information filled in.

We respect your right to privacy – view our policy.

This email was sent by:
American Civil Liberties Union
125 Broad Street, 18th Floor
New York, NY 10004, USA