[Peace] More minutes! August 2003

David Green davidgreen50 at gmail.com
Sun Jul 26 21:21:04 UTC 2020

Just look at all these women who hadn't yet figured out, as Danielle and
Elizabeth had, that AWARE was no place for women to hang out.

This is really interesting. Apparently this was the first time I took
notes, because as a patriarchal and sexist male I tried to compensate by
doing tasks that until recently could be considered womanly, especially
because I was working as a secretary at U of I at that time. Anyway,
fascinatingly, please notice the reference to David Roediger and Sundiata
Cha-Jua, because of course AWARE was not interested in racism. Although of
course, I'm not a big fan of either of these guys because I think they
devote themselves to perpetuating the idea of whiteness. But that's for
another day. Anyway, neither Danielle nor Elizabeth was there to take
notes, like women are supposed to do in patriarchal and sexist contexts. So
I did the dirty work, apparently for the first of many times. Minutes for
AWARE Meeting – August 17, 2003 Corrections and additions invited: 1. News
of the Week – Carl Estabrook Black-out related to de-regulation: see Greg
Palast article at commondreams.org Families of soldiers speak out against
occupation of Iraq Twice as many Americans feel it is more important to
focus on the economy than foreign affairs. General Myers goes to Colombia,
in the region that is a candidate for our next invasion. See complete
notes, already posted on peace-discuss list. 2. Meredith Kruse discussed
her trip to Guatemala—see her article in the current issue of the Public I.
Rios Montt, now (illegally) running for President, claims to be endorsed by
Ronald Reagan (who was supportive of mass murderers during an earlier
period of his life), and pays campesinos to come to the capital and support
him and intimidate others; but there is also conflict between R-M and local
capitalist types—genocide is not always good for business. Police do
nothing to defend journalists from FRG (R-M’s party) thugs. Elections will
be November 9th. There are 22 parties. Del Monte Corporation is involved in
corruption by subcontracting its land to local outfit, which keeps
campesinos from farming on it for their subsistence crops. There is also
massive corruption regarding social security, with retirees being
neglected. Meredith will be returning to Guatemala as part of the Guatemala
Accompaniment Project, and organizing a local support group to stand behind
her in her continued efforts. Info about GAP and a sign-on sheet were
passed around. Please contact Meredith for more information. 3. Voices in
the Wilderness: Sharon Dorsey discussed Kathy Kelly’s visit on September
29-30, Monday and Tuesday. She will be speaking at the YMCA on Monday at 4.
On Tuesday there will be a town meeting at the Champaign Public Library
hosted by WILL-Jack Brighton, to be arranged, including various viewpoints.
The tentative topic is “Liberation or Occupation.” 4. Farmer’s Market,
etc.: Tabling will be done at the Sweet Corn Festival this Saturday, August
23rd. There will be no Farmers Market tabling. Volunteers welcome, a
sign-up sheet was circulated. We will work with the Public I people to
jointly person the tables. Farmers’ Market will continue on a week-by-week
basis beginning August 30th, depending on volunteers. Contact David Green
if you wish to be responsible for set-up and break-down. 5. Calendars:
Carol Inskeep volunteered to order activism calendars for sale during the
holiday season, or before. This was supported and approved. 6. Prospect for
Peace – Gabe Stanton is organizing a Prospect for Peace demonstration for
the first Saturday of every month, beginning September 6th, 2 to 4 as
usual. We will be protesting the occupation, military spending, etc. A
sign-making party will be held in the morning before the event—location to
be announced. 7. Quad Day: AWARE will participate in Quad Day by sharing a
table with Student Peace Action, August 26th, Monday. Prime hours are from
11:30 to 1. Volunteers requested. 8. Labor Day Parade: AWARE members will
be joining the Labor Day parade on September 1, which begins at Race and
High Streets, formation at 9:30. The parade will end at the Brookens
Center. Carol Inskeep will host a sign-making party for this parade on
Thursday, August 28th, at 7 p.m., at her house. 9. Video Showing: Also on
Saturday, August 23rd, at 7, Meredith Kruse will show “The Color of Fear”
at the home of Jan and Durl Kruse, 2007 George Huff Drive. All are welcome.
10. Anti-racism: Tentative plan for discussion prior to AWARE meeting of
September 14th, at 3 p.m., with Dave Roediger and Sundiata Cha-Jua. To be
confirmed.