[Peace] Where we geese supporters are now--new strategy, same resolve to keep geese alive

Susan Parenti susanroseparenti at gmail.com
Thu Jun 11 23:14:28 UTC 2020

(from Viktoria Ford, geese protector)

Dear Urbana friends--

Please be aware that as a newly formed GeesePeace chapter in Urbana that we
hope to work with the Urbana Park District to manage the geese population
at Crystal Lake Park. Derek Liebert and his crew for the past few years
have tried many humane methods to reduce the population such as egg
addling, hazing by laser and border collie/trainer. These methods work
effectively but they cannot control the geese that come onto Crystal Lake
Park from the surrounding areas. Often these areas are where they nest.
These eggs also need to be addled but the UPD has no jurisdiction over
these neighboring areas. As an outside group we can provide this service,
free. This will create a complete comprehensive plan going forward to
control the geese population in the entire area and assist the Urbana Park
District to reduce their goose population.

We are a volunteer group of passionate and energetic goose lovers. We
recognize that there is an overpopulation problem but we do not agree that
killing the geese is the answer. Give us one year and we will volunteer our
time to addle the eggs at Crystal Lake Park. Further, we will reach out to
the surrounding golf course, church and property owners to identify nesting
areas and addle those eggs every spring. We feel confident that the results
will be significant and with each year more improvement.

The reason why there are so many geese coming from nearby areas is that
Crystal Lake Park provides the perfect combination of manicured grass and
access to water. The best method which will work to improve the quality of
the Crystal Lake Park experience will also improve the neighboring areas
and create goodwill in the entire community.

St Louis GeesePeace President, Nancy Schnell has offered to come to Urbana
to train us in egg addling and guide us as we begin. She and her group have
been volunteering in the St Louis and surrounding area for 19 years and
have a tremendously successful program which we will adapt.

This is our offer, but it is a one time offer. We do not condone the
so-called “charity harvest” and should you choose to go ahead with it in
the next few weeks this offer will be withdrawn.

Please consider looking at this issue with this new information and vote to
not kill the geese.

Respectfully submitted,

Viktoria Ford

[image: image.png]