[Peace] event: webinar series: How We Make the World We Want / Democratize This! / Sundays, July 5 through August 16

Karen Medina kmedina67 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 22 16:46:19 UTC 2020

Dear Peace list:

Webinar series (7 weeks): Democratize This!: How We Make The World We Want
How to make social change on every scale and in every domain / How can we
instigate systems change towards a more just and desirable future for
everyone?
7 weekly webinars (via zoom):
Sundays, 4pm-6pm (EDT) for Illinois, this would be 3pm-5pm (Central
Standard Time)
July 5th, July 12th, July 19th, July 26th, August 2nd, August 9th, August
16th (2020)

The first two webinars are open to the public on a pay-what-you-can basis.
The 7-week series is accessible on a sliding scale.

#1 (Sunday, July 5, 2020) What Time is It on the Clock of the World? with
artist Ricardo Levins Morales (Minneapolis, MN)
About: Ricardo Levins Morales describes himself as a “healer and trickster
organizer disguised as an artist.” He was born into the anti-colonial
movement in his native Puerto Rico and was drawn into activism in Chicago
when his family moved there in 1967. // Ricardo left high school early and
worked in various industries, and over time began to use his art as part of
his activism. This activism has included support work for the Black
Panthers and Young Lords to participating in or acting in solidarity with
farmers, environmental, labor, racial justice and peace movements. //
Increasingly Ricardo sees his art and organizing practices as means to
address individual, collective and historical trauma. He co-leads workshops
on trauma and resilience for organizers as well as trainings on creative
organizing, social justice strategy and sustainable activism, and mentors
and supports young activists. // Ricardo’s art has won numerous awards but
the greatest affirmation is the uses to which it has been put by grassroots
movements and communities.
See Ricardo's amazing art: https://www.rlmartstudio.com

#2 (Sunday, July 12, 2020) “Living in Contradiction” with Safiya Noble
(UCLA) and Andrew C. Smith (Santa Cruz, CA)
* About: Learn how to shift from: “It’s big, it’s scary, it’s hopeless!” to
“It’s designed, it’s vulnerable, and we can change it.” * More About: “We
understand our root problems perpetuate each other. In this workshop we
explore how to unmask their vulnerabilities, and contest them.
* Safiya Noble is the author of “Algorithms of Oppression: How Search
Engines Reinforce Racism”, (NYU Press, 2018) and co-director of the Center
for Critical Internet Inquiry at UCLA. * Composer and curator Andrew C.
Smith will offer relevant musical interludes from his own work and by The
Happy Valley Band.
* Read more about Safiya Noble here: https://safiyaunoble.com/bio-cv/
* See and hear more about Andrew C. Smith:
http://www.andrewchristophersmith.com/about/

Cosponsors for the webinar include: MediaJustice, Urbana Champaign
Independent Media Center, School for Designing a Society, Performers’
Workshop Ensemble, What a Neighborhood!

More about the webinar series and how to register:
https://www.democratizethis.net/?fbclid=IwAR3aD6cDe4MWwOL8mDJ3T4LZkjQUsn3fzzxrLCnuOTjAHAuptYQmgnaEzEg

Democratize This! is a webinar series and it is also a book
(currently-being-marketed-to-publishers) on how to make social change on
every scale and in every domain. It provides strategy and tools to empower
people from all walks of life to create a more just and desirable future
for everyone. It helps explain root causes of problems and how systems
work, and provides examples of successful projects for change.