[Peace] to keep a balance, Urb Park proposes to kill 60-100 Crystal lake geese-- read & take survey

Susan Parenti susanroseparenti at gmail.com
Mon May 11 17:44:03 UTC 2020

> On May 11, 2020, at 12:06 PM, John W. via Peace <peace at lists.chambana.net> wrote:
>
> On Mon, May 11, 2020 at 12:04 PM Lois Steinberg <loisiyoga at gmail.com <mailto:loisiyoga at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
> but there are alternatives to murdering them...
> Lois
>
> Perhaps there are.  But if you read the actual report from the Urbana Park District, you'll see how many different strategies have already been employed, in vain.

Hello friends---Concerning ‘the different strategies”--I spoke with Tim Barlett, head of UPD, yesterday. Concerning the other steps they’ve employed: these steps are a sequence of stages proposed by the USDA, an increase in hardship for the geese. In order to get to the final stage—killing off almost the entire herd, which is where UPD is, now, Tim told me you have to go through the other steps, show that you tried, and that they didn’t work. Tim said they’ve been aiming at the ‘killing off’ stage for the past few years—they did try the other interventions, but really felt that the town was divided between those people who just hate the geese, and those who don’t—so it’s more the sheer presence of the geese, not necessarily the number of them.

This explains why UPD put the survey and information out about the 'charity harvest’(the euphemism for the killing of geese, selling them as meat)   for just 10 days—April 27 to May 7. They had ALREADY arranged for the killing off stage with the USDA months ago, and were just waiting for whether the virus would stop this step. When they got the OK, they placed the survey—which indicates how much citizen input matters to them. They feel we are all emotional softies, who don’t realize the real logical problems they face. Sorry for this nasty remark, but in my three years of trying to work with UPD, that is my assessment—they’re burned out from public input, and endure it, but won’t be guided by it—unless people make a nasty fuss. (Gives to think).

I asked Tim if the majority of Urbana citizens showed they were against the ‘charity harvest’ at the meeting tomorrow, would that sway the Commissioners. He paused, and said, “Not necessarily”. My experience of the Commissioners is that they vote the way Tim Barlett and UPD President Michael Walked indicate.

Does anyone have a connection with SMILE POLITELY or News Gazette? Given how little new news is out there, I think we have a shot at coverage…If only to figure out how to stand with signs (DON’T KILL THE GEESE) on Broadway at 6 feet apart, with masks and gloves. Ah, PROTEST—the old beloved normal.

Susan