[Peace] My letter to the local news:

kmedina67 kmedina67 at gmail.com
Sun May 24 20:41:59 UTC 2020

 Well done Susan!Whoa, one of Jan Predmore's paragraphs basically says, "genocide works"!Well, yes, genocide does work. But it is WRONG.Basically, the park district built the ideal nursery for Canadian Geese. Short grass, a gentle non-rocky slope between the water and the grass, water, easy flight into the pond, and a complete lack of preditors (including black bear, bobcat, and rat snakes, and people (it is illegal to hunt Canadian Geese)). And then the park district blames the geese? All we are saying is killing the geese is not the answer. More geese will come. Because it is an ideal place for geese. Changing the ideal geese conditions is one thing that should be done. 1) Plant taller native grasses that go right up to the pond. 2) make the slope a bit steeper (and more like a natural pond). Change the pond part of the park from being entirely people- centric to more wildlife centric. Surround the pond with native trees, native plants. The geese will find it less ideal (it is harder to land when there are trees near the pond, preditors might be hiding in the tall grasses) the other wildlife will increase. This is a long term solution.Slaughter is a short-term solution. - Karen Medina"The really great make you feel that you, too, can become great" - Mark Twain