[Petitioning] Final state slate petition count??

Tom Abram tabram at gmail.com
Wed Jun 28 17:50:55 CDT 2006

We filed 4,130 sheets for the state slate candidates (with an estimated
39,200 signatures.)  The stack was nearly 20 inches tall and shocked
everyone in the State Board of Elections office.  For my campaign, we
submitted 4,290 of our hard earned signatures - the legal requirement was
2,260.  There should be enough of an overage for both of our petitions to
hold up in court.  The petitions of all Green candidates needing them have
already been copied by Democratic staffers.  Challenges must be filed by
Monday, July 3rd.

The Constitution Party submitted nearly 4,400 signatures for their state
slate.  They were impressed with our effort and congratulated us.  We'll see
if they squeak by.  The Independence Party (who we didnt even know was
petitioning) submitted about 150 signatures.  It really speaks to our
organizational abilities that we were able to collect so many and overcome
these hurdles.

There was a press conference in Springfield where many Green candidates
spoke: Rich Whitney (Governor), Dan Rodgriguez-Schlorff (Treasurer), David
Black (Attorney General), Alicia Snyder (Comptroller), myself, and Charlie
Howe (115th state rep).  There were several newspapers in attendence,
including Chicago Tribune, News-Gazette, Springfield Journal-Register, and
the Peoria Journal Star.  You can read several articles about the effort by
going to news.google.com and looking up "Rich Whitney".

Thanks for everyone who helped petition.  We will need people to do data
entry to prepare for likely challenges, and campaign volunteers.  I'll send
an email later about what we need for data entry.

Congratualtions, we made it!
Tom