[volunteer] Five Days Til the Election! Last Chance to Volunteer to Get Greens Elected!

Tom Abram tabram at gmail.com
Thu Oct 30 22:55:19 CDT 2008

There are only five days left in the campaign!  This is your last chance to
volunteer to get our excellent Green candidates elected to the Champaign
County Board.  There are several ways you can get involved.  More
information below, but first a few promising developments in the campaign.

For the last week and through the election, a joint campaign ad has been
playing on local cable television which you can watch here:
http://www.prairiegreens.org/vote/.  We've received a lot of positive
feedback and donations from this effort.  All three of our candidates
received financial support from the AFL-CIO.  Joe Futrelle received the
endorsement of the News-Gazette.  Mike Lehman received the endorsement of
AFSCME.  Walter Pituc was on the front page of the Daily Illini today.
There have been several letters to the editor in both the News-Gazette and
Daily Illini in support of our candidates.  We've knocked on thousands of
doors in Champaign County.  Our yard signs greatly outnumber our opponents
in many areas of our districts.  Our candidates are fighting for a clean
environmental, socially responsible justice system, a fiscally sound public
nursing home, transparency, and accountability.  We have an excellent shot
at getting the first partisan Greens elected in the State of Illinois.  You
can make that happen.

Friday: We'll be meeting at 5:15pm for Critical Mass with campaign signs in
tow.  Join us in supporting bicycle advocacy.

Saturday:  We'll be at the Farmer's Market from 8am until 12pm.  At 1pm,
we'll meet at Joe Futrelle's (1205 S. Race St, Urbana) for canvassing and
literature dropping in each of the districts.  At this point, volunteers
will mostly be leaving literature at residents' doors, so you won't have to
knock or talk to voters if you're uncomfortable!  We may also have people do
phonebanking if they'd prefer.  If you need a ride, please let me know.

Sunday:  We'll be starting our canvassing efforts at 10am on Sunday at Joe's
place.  If you're not able to get up in time, we'll also be meeting at 1pm
at Mike Lehman's house, 608 E. Green St, Urbana.  If you need a ride or want
to catch up with us later in the day, please give me a call.

Monday:  We've rented out the Family Room of the Independent Media Center
(202 South Broadway, Urbana).  Drop by and see how you can help.  We'll be
having people table, canvass, and phonebank throughout the day.

Tuesday:  Election Day!  We'll be posting people in front of polling places
in the morning (between 6am and 9am), lunchtime (11:30am to 1:30pm), and
after work/class (between 4pm and 7pm).  We might send people out between
those times as well, but these are the most essential times.  You'll be
handing out flyers for our candidates to people coming in to vote.  Another
opportunity is to hold up signs at major intersections for our candidates!
You can also secure a yard sign to your bicycle and bike around town
spreading the message!  We'll have a table on the quad to reach out to
students.  We'll also have volunteers call our supporters and make sure
they're going to vote.    Any volunteer who puts in a few hours of service
on Tuesday will be provided with food and drink.  Please let me know when
you're available and how you'd like to help.  You can stop by the campaign
headquarters (Family Room at the IMC), but it's preferred if we have an idea
of who will be available ahead of time.

At 7pm, we'll be celebrating our victories at Mike Lehman's house, 608 E.
Green St, Urbana.  Come and enjoy food, drinks, and friends as we watch the
returns come in.  It's going to be an exciting night!

As you can tell, there's a lot that needs to be done and a lot of
opportunities to volunteer.  Please let me know when you'll be available to
volunteer and how you'd like to help.  Any hour or two would be a tremendous
help and can determine the outcome of the election.  In the 2006 Democratic
primary, there was a tie and the race went to a coin flip!  Let's not let
that happen here!  Each vote counts and each volunteer counts many times
over.  Join us in this monumental event!

Towards victory!
Tom Abram
217.417.7118