[volunteer] Urgent: Canvass to get Greens elected this weekend

Tom Abram tabram at gmail.com
Fri Sep 12 18:15:24 CDT 2008

All,

The amount of time before the election is greatly diminishing.  We only have
about 50 days to spread our message to the community and get our County
Board candidates elected.  We have a very realistic chance at getting them
elected.  Electing a Green to a partisan office would be a first in
Illinois.  Electing two would be incredible.  Electing three would be
absolutely fantastic.  Let's make a huge impact this fall and fundamentally
alter the political landscape in Champaign County and the state.  Imagine
this:

We elect 2-3 Greens to the County Board this cycle
We elect another 2-3 in 2010 (along with Governor Whitney?)
We hold the seats of the incumbents in 2012 and pick up another seat or
two.  At the same time, we run a strong candidate for state rep and win the
seat, after solidifying a base.

This is no longer just a fantasy.  This can be achieved.  But we really need
everyone to step it up.  We've had several canvassing events, with less
attendance than desired.  With a few more people, we can double our
coverage, and complete the canvassing in a few weeks.  Then we can target
specific precincts and voters to convince them to vote for our candidates
and finally get them to the polling place.  We have an infrastructure to
achieve these goals, but we need more manpower.  With three strong
candidates, it takes a lot of feet.

Please consider volunteering your time.  We will be pounding the pavement
every Saturday and Sunday from 1pm to about 5pm.  If you only have an hour
or two to give during these sessions, that's totally fine.  We'll also be
canvassing occasionally during the week.  We have a system devised where you
don't have to personally speak very long to the voters if you don't feel
comfortable, so don't be shy!  If you absolutely dread canvassing, but want
to help out, you can!  We'll need phonebankers, event planners, cookie
bakers (for fundraisers!), advertisers (flyering, etc), and more.  Tell your
friends about how wonderful Walter, Mike, and Joe are and how they should
vote for them!  They still need money to make all this work!   Consider
donating to their campaigns: votewalter.org, lehmanforagreencounty.org,
joefutrelle.org.  Please!

Now, for this weekend's times.  We will be canvassing for Joe on Saturday
and Sunday at 1pm.  We'll be meeting at his house, 1205 S. Race St.

We're also going to be canvassing for Walter on Sunday at 1pm.  More details
to follow!

Thanks for reading through this entire email.  I hope you consider
volunteering to get these excellent candidates elected.  We're so close,
let's not let it slip away.

Towards victory,
Tom