[Rfu-barnraising] fyi: Barnraising Information You'll Need This Weekend!

Hannah Sassaman hannahjs at prometheusradio.org
Wed Nov 9 21:28:38 CST 2005

if anyone calls needing emergency information, this is the email
prometheus put together and sent to all registrants w/email addys.

see you all sooon.

hannah s.
prometheusradioproject

Subject:  Barnraising Information You'll Need This Weekend!
From: Hannah Sassaman <hannahjs at prometheusradio.org>
To: undisclosed-recipients: ;

Hello Registrants for the Urbana Barnraising Extravaganza!

Thanks so much for registering for this weekend's radio barnraising in
Urbana, Illinois.  We are excited to work with you to build an amazing
community radio station, to experiment with wireless technology, and to
organize for media in the hands of people just like you.  Excellent!

Below you will find important information that will get you to Urbana
safely, let you plan your weekend of solder and consoles and workshops
and cantennas and fun, and answer some of your important questions.

1)  But what if I didn't register my whole group, or I know folks coming
who didn't register?  How do I know if I registered?

2)  What kind of housing am I getting?  What if I arrive too late to get
to my homestay?

3)  Do I have to volunteer?  How can/should I help?

4)  I have a food allergy!

5)  How do I get to Urbana again?

6)  How much is registration?

7)  I have an emergency on my way to Urbana!  Who do I call?

8)  What if I have two monstrous loathsome little beasts I like to call
my children in tow?

* * * * *

1)  But what if I didn't register my whole group, or I know folks coming
who didn't register?

It would be great if they could register, as it helps us identify
potential volunteers (someone who says they love kids can spend a couple
of hours doing childcare, etc), food allergies, lets us slot people in
to workshops they may be qualified to lead/help with, and also we will
-only- assign comfy, free homestays to folks who register.  But if your
travelling companions can't get around to it, just let them know that
they should bring a sleeping bag and be prepared to have some of their
own food if they have major dietary restrictions and allergies.  (All
meals will have a vegetarian and vegan option).

If you registered you will have a confirmation email that was sent back
to you.  If you don't have that email, you didn't register!

2)  What kind of housing am I getting?

If you registered and asked for a homestay, we're doing our best to get
you one.  You should hear from either Hannah Sassaman or Faith Swords
about your homestay on Tuesday or Wednesday, but if you don't hear about
it, and you did register, just check in at registration for your
information.  Homestays are only available to people who have registered
for the event!

And if you arrive at 3am and can't get to your homestay, bring a
sleeping bag -- we'll stick ya in crash space for the night!  Or email
hannahjs at prometheusradio.org right away so we can check and see if a
late arrival at your homestay is OK.

If you didn't register, we have crash space for you extremely nearby the
barnraising.  Bring your own sleeping bag, and be prepared to check your
valuables at registration or carry them with you -- we can't be
responsible for stuff you leave at the crash space, though very very
rarely do things get lost.  Crash space is fun and boisterous and a
great way to enjoy working late and not worrying about driving or
walking home.

There's still time to get an inexpensive room at the Lincoln Hotel --
check out http://www.prometheusradio.org/urbana and click on the housing
link to get info about this fantastic hotel, right next door to the
barnraising!

3)  Do I have to volunteer?  How can/should I help?

You do have to volunteer!  And it's the most fun and the deepest
learning you'll have at the barnraising -- we promise.  Whether or not
you pay $150 or $5 to attend the barnraising -- this isn't a normal
conference for anybody.  You are an integral part of helping this
station to be born, survive, and thrive.  There's plenty of time for you
to work on the station, build wireless antennas, and attend workshops --
AND offer 1 or 2 2-hour shifts of your time to make the conference and
the station go up as planned!  Some of the most productive conversations
happen while washing pots or driving around picking up bagels.

You can sign up for your volunteer shift at registration, or email
katharan at prometheusradio.org if there's a big extenuating circumstance
why you can't help your fellow barnraisers.

4)  I have a food allergy!

Okay.  If you or any unregistered folks coming with you have a food
allergy, and you didn't specify what it was to us already, make sure you
email mollystentz at gmail.com or hannahjs at prometheusradio.org in the next
24 hours so we can make sure we don't poison you!  Also it's always
smart to carry some granola or energy bars if you are worried the food
won't be to your taste or needs.  All meals will have vegetarian and
vegan options, nothing fancy but enough to give you plenty of energy!

5)  How do I get to Urbana again?

There's tons of directions linked from
http://www.prometheusradio.org/urbana -- and if you find yourself stuck
at the train station, confused and sad, you can call (217) 344-8820.
Cabs from the Illinois Terminal and the airport are less than $15 though
-- so we'll expect to see you at the event, bags in hand!

As you can see on the transportation page, Amtrak or Greyhound from
Chicago is inexpensive, but check schedules because there are just 4 or
so trains and buses per day.  We are not picking folks up from Chicago,
sorry!

6)  How much is registration?

Pay what you can -- no one ever turned away for lack of funds!  You can
bring your checkbook or pledge to pay later if you can't pay onsite --
we also take cash.  If you wanna pay online go to
http://www.prometheusradio.org and click on our paypal link -- write
that the payment is for urbana registration in the memo!

7)  I have an emergency on my way to Urbana!  Who do I call?

The emergency number is (217) 344-8820 -- call if you are lost or
confused, though not if you are lazy and don't wanna take the bus from
the Illinois Terminal to the barnraising, you silly goof.

8)  What if I have two monstrous loathsome little beasts I like to call
my children in tow?

If you are bringing a child or two or three, we have volunteers who are
willing to entertain them while you attend workshops.  But you have to
let us know that you'll be bringing the kids!  Email
katharan at prometheusradio.org.

If you have any more questions or concerns, call us at (215) 727 9620
until Thursday morning, or at (217) 344-8820!

--
-----

hannah sassaman
prometheusradioproject

our next radio barnraising is november 11th - 13th!
join us in urbana, illinois --
http://www.prometheusradio.org/urbana --
and build a radio station AND a community wireless project!