[Rfu-barnraising] barnraising registraton

katharan at prometheusradio.org katharan at prometheusradio.org
Mon Oct 3 15:44:54 CDT 2005

Hello Urbana All!

We're building the online registration form for the barnraising; it will
include standard name, address, contact, travel & housing plans (this is
where we'll get our info for people's housing and transportation needs),
payment (we're thinking $125, but it's always pay what you can, we don't
turn anyone away).  The barnraising page should also include links to
local hotels & some information for travellers coming into town.

You can link to check this page out, right now it is the online form we
used for the Grassroots Radio Conference and Valley Free barnraising.

we're playing phone tag with the gentleman from SpaceShare, the online
ride & housing community.  As has been pointed out on this list, it was
not very user-friendly for the GRC, and we're going to see if we can
tailor it more to our needs for this event.  We're askiing him if we can
break it down into categories: Homestay Needed/Offered, Hotel Roommate
matching, Ride Needed/Offered, Airport Arrivals Ride Needed/Can give ride.

Anyone have any suggestions as we build these sites and forms for the
barnraising?

Anthony and I should finish the prometheus version of an outreach flyer
tomorrow evening.  It has an image of the IMC building with a radio tower
coming out of it.  Following this message is our flyer text!  Although it
is looking like we will have to edit it down...

Kate
Prometheus Radio Project

UCIMC & PRP
present
A RADIO STATION WRFU
BARNRAISING
RADIO FREE URBANA

Join the UCIMC and Prometheus for
another hair-raising spine-tingling electrically-charged weekend radio
project!  Jump in with hundreds of volunteers from around the
country as we come together to build a new radio station from microphone
to antenna in three headlong days.

No longer content to just engage & enthrall scores of volunteers with a
plain old radio barnraising, Prometheus and the CU IMC make the mammoth
task of building a radio station over the course of a weekend go
gargantuan!  (or, alternatiively, elephantine task go mammoth, haha) We're
not stopping at the FM AIRWAVES; we're setting our sights on (freeing) the
whole SPECTRUM to use for democratic communications as we look to the
future of radio! (awkward still, i know) This barnraising round, we'll
also build out the Champaign-Urbana wireless network, a pioneering leader
in community broadband services.  While some of us construct the studio &
raise the antenna to get WRFU on the air, others will set up access points
to expand and protect this open source community wireless network!

Dozens of radio workshops and station building will take place at the
spanking (sparkling?)  new IMC space in Urbana's post office.  Radio Free
Urbana,
WRFU-LP, 104.5 FM will be born on Sunday, November 13th!  All skill
levels
encouraged, from engineer to nowhere near, and no one will be turned
away
for lack of funds!

for info or to register www.prometheusradio.org
                                      www.wrfu.net
we have phones too! (215) 727 9620

workshops listing:  News Production, Programming, Station Management
and organization,
Studio Building, radio engineering, Community Wireless, and the
politics of media ownership and control.

NOVEMBER 11-13 2005
honor your presidents by exercising democratic rights
to speak out on public airwaves ! another community celebrates!