[Rfu-barnraising] Taking Back All Kinds of Airwaves- Come Help Us Build Community Radio and Community Wireless in Urbana, Illinois 11/11 to 11/13

petetridish petri at prometheusradio.org
Fri Oct 7 17:11:10 CDT 2005

slight edits and note  subject line:

UCIMC & Prometheus Radio Project

present

RADIO STATION BARNRAISING: RADIO FREE URBANA, WRFU-LP!
11/11 to 11-13

Join the Urbana Champaign Independent Media Center, CU Wireless and
Prometheus for
another hair-raising spine-tingling electrically-charged weekend radio
project!  Jump in with hundreds of volunteers from around the country as
we come together to build a new radio station from microphone to antenna
in three headlong days.

No longer content to engage & enthrall scores of volunteers with a
plain old radio barnraising, Prometheus and the UCIMC take the mammoth
task of building a radio station over the course of a singe weekend in
stride.  This time, we're not stopping at the FM AIRWAVES; we're setting
our sights on freeing the whole SPECTRUM for use by democratic
communications as we look to the future of radio!  This barnraising
round,
we'll also build out the Urbana Champaign wireless network, a pioneering
leader in community broadband services.  While some of us construct the
studio & raise the antenna to get WRFU on the air, others will set up
access points to expand  this open source community wireless network!

Dozens of radio workshops and station building will take place at the
sparkling  new IMC space in Urbana's former Post Office Building.
Radio Free Urbana,
WRFU-LP, 104.5 FM will be born on Sunday, November 13th!  All skill
levels encouraged, from engineer to nowhere near, and no one will be
turned
away for lack of funds!

You Be There!  We'll Be There!

for info or to register, visit www.prometheusradio.org
Registration is $125 for the full weekend, all meals included
(coming straight from local farmers who support local radio)!
Free housing available if you register by November 1 and are not too
fussy about where you lay your head
Discounted and other slashed rates available, so no excuses!

we have phones too! (215) 727-9620.

   _       _
pe'tre dish (n): a squat, cylindrical, transparent article of
laboratory glassware, useful in observing resistant strains of culture
in aetherial media.

  petri at prometheusradio.org
  www.prometheusradio.org
  Prometheus Radio Project
  215-727-9620

see more about the stations we just built in
Tanzania!!!www.prometheusradio.org/tanzania.shtml