[Rfu-barnraising] The media bomb!

Lynsee Melchi Lynsee at illinoisalumni.org
Mon Oct 10 16:47:35 CDT 2005

RFUers

I'm heading up press for the barnraising.  I've got a press release
written up, I'll send it to the list in another email.  If anyone wants
to help me I will gladly tear my media contacts list in two to share!
Email me!!!

So far I have contacted all the monthlys in town.  El Informador and
Women's Independent Press have gotten back to me about writing a piece
for the BR.  We need to write a piece for the PublicI (due Oct 20) and a
piece for the Active Senior (350 words by Oct 15).  If anyone wants to
write these I will gladly turn it over to you!  I have also contacted
the Illinois Entertainer, La Tejanita, and Innocent Words.  Troy at
Innocent Words is super supportive and I'm sure we will have press about
the BR at some point in IW newspaper.

I have spoken w/ some of the weeklys in town.  The Hub is going to do
some intial press for us in the Grapevine section as a way to recruit
volunteers for the BR.  We should also be getting a major piece done the
week after the BR.  It will be a different sort of angle for the story,
which I think will be cool.  The Buzz has our info and I will be getting
back w/them.  The Accent should have something on us.  And there are a
number of other weeklys that I will contact when the time is right.

I have sort of gotten out to some of the dailys in town.  I am working
w/a reporter at the News Gazette right now.  The DI has our press
release and the Parkland Prospectus does too.  These press contacts
don't need to be contacted til closer to the event.

Websites I'm working on are:  innocent words website, IMC, WRFU, ob.com,
toymakermusic, and CUDnB.  If you have any suggestions of websites that
could or would put info up about our BR on their site than contact them
or tell me and I'll do it.

Newsletters: I will get to ACES Honors newsletter, Campus Honors
Program, and will email various other community groups in town.  I have
sent out a number of preliminary emails to them, but have not heard back
anything yet.  Again, if you have suggestions, let me know or just get
in touch w/them.

Misc:  I have contacted people at WEFT and WILL to see if we can
collaborate for the BR.  Basically this is a rad event for all radio
junkies and it only makes sense to publicize it through their avenues of
communication.  There are a lot of people already doing community radio
in this town and maybe they would like to share their knowledge at the
BR...isn't that what it's all about?

So...press is being taken care of as we speak.  The pin's been pulled on
this media bomb.  If you want to get involved w/this aspect of the
BR...email me!  Remember you don't have to know anything to do this...I
didn't when I got started.

Later
Lynsee