[Rfu-barnraising] on the transport tip!

Lynsee Melchi Lynsee at illinoisalumni.org
Mon Oct 10 19:03:34 CDT 2005

Hey Kate

Here's a breakdown on how to get to/around CU by any means...

Plane: Willard Airport
Amtrak: Illinois Terminal
Greyhound: Illinois Terminal
City Bus: Illinois Terminal  (see route and schedule info at:
www.cumtd.com <http://www.cumtd.com> )

The Illinois Terminal (IT) is located in downtown Champaign and is
easily connected by city bus (the 50 East Green on Sat/Sun, many other
options on weekdays).  The city buses are great and only cost $1 to
ride.  You get a free transfer w/that price.  There is a major bus hub
in downtown Urbana about 1/2 block from the IMC, so it should be simple
to suss out where to go and when to get off.  Get off when you see a
huge courthouse complex looking thing ;)  There are usually some taxis
around the IT too if folks want to go that route.  A taxi from the IT to
downtown Urbana (where the IMC and probably hotel will be) should be
around $5, but I haven't taken one in years (cos I ride the bus for
free) so the price may have increased a bit.  If they charge you more
than $10 you better start hagglin!!!

Greyhound:  The IT is where you will come into via Greyhound.  CU is a
major stop on the line from Chicago to St Louis and many other bus
routes, so it won't be too hard or too many transfers to get here.  You
can buy tickets at the terminal for Greyhound buses.  You will have to
check www.greyhound.com <http://www.greyhound.com>  for info cos I think
they just changed the schedule/fare from CU to Chicago.

Hope that helps
Let me know if you need more info about transport.  We will be working
on getting a point person!!

Lynsee

Plane:  Willard Airport is southwest of CU in Savoy, IL.  It's serviced
by a number of major airlines, but is a fairly small airport.  I have
never flown out of there or arrived there, so I don't know too much
about it.  People can rent cars from a lot of major dealers there.
There is a city bus shuttle (The Air Bus) and it comes once an hour from
5:55am-7pm on Saturdays.  It costs $1 (see www.cumtd.com
<http://www.cumtd.com> ).  The Air Bus goes from the airport to the
Illinois Terminal.  People can catch a city bus from the terminal
(50Green on Sat/Sun, lots more options on weekdays) for $1.  If they ask
for a transfer on the Air Bus they should be able to take a bus from the
terminal to downtown Urbana for free.

By Car: CU is about 2-2.5 hours south from Chicago.  Take I-57 South to
I-74 East.  Get off on Cunningham Ave and go south (right).  Cunningham
will turn into Vine St, this should be downtown Urbana-ish.  Pass Green
St (major intersection w/stoplight) and take a right (west) at Elm St
which should be the next block.  Post office AKA IMC Supercomplex is
about one block after you turn on the lefthand side of street (south).
There is a city parking garage kitty corner to the IMC and I think it's
free on weekends, but don't know cos I bike it!

CU is about 2 hours (according to mapquest) from Indianapolis, IN
(another option for flying into...sometimes it's cheaper).  Take I-74 W
from Indianapolis...follow directions about about getting off at
Cunningham Ave.

CU is about 3 hours (according to mapquest) from St Louis, MO.  I don't
know if this will be helpful to anyone...Take I-70 East to I-57N.  Take
I-57N to I-74E.  Follow directions above about getting off on Cunningham
Ave.