[Rfu-barnraising] article for active senior

Lynsee Melchi Lynsee at illinoisalumni.org
Wed Oct 12 12:43:27 CDT 2005

Yo guys

Here's the text for an article I'm submitting to Active Senior.  Any
corrections etc?  Keep in mind that I'm already 50 + words over my
limit....you can't say shit in 350 words!!

I need to turn this in by like tomorrow...so let me know if you have any
issues w/it.

Lynsee

The Urbana-Champaign Independent Media Center (IMC) has been a major
force in our community since its inception.  With the motto, "Don't fear
the media, become the media," the IMC empowers people to create their
own media.  This is accomplished by offering training and democratic
access to media outlets.  The IMC's purchase of the historic post office
building in downtown Urbana promises that this trend will continue.  The
new building currently houses IMC meeting space, Cherry Alley Artists'
Collective, private businesses, books to prisoners library, and soon
even more!  On November 13, 2005 the IMC will launch a new FM station,
104.5FM WRFU.

            WRFU, also known as Radio Free Urbana, is a new low power
public access FM station for CU.  All the programs will be done by local
volunteers and range from talk to radio drama to music.  Food
discussion, Slavic music, and Native American issues are just a few of
the shows that will make up the program schedule.  With this project,
the IMC hopes to add another non-profit community-run radio option to a
sea of corporate for-profit stations.

            The weekend of November 11-13, the IMC and Prometheus Radio
Project, a national radio activist group, will hold a radio
"barnraising" in Urbana.  In the spirit of coming together as a
community, hundreds of volunteers from around the country will gather in
CU to build WRFU from scratch.  RFU will go from parts to a whole in
just 3 days.  Everyone from engineer to nowhere near is encouraged to
come out and participate.  Training from experienced radio gurus will be
given to those with no experience or training in radio.  Volunteers will
also be needed for a number of non-technical activities like food
service and child care.  Workshops related to community radio will be
given for those interested in learning more.  CU Wireless Network
(CUWiN) will present a project and workshop.  CUWiN is a local
non-profit group dedicated to "wirelessing" communities to provide
easier access to the internet.

            So come out November 11-13 to help us build our new
community station and to celebrate the new IMC building.  We will have a
big party on November 13 when RFU has its first broadcast.

To get involved:

1.	Go to www.wrfu.net to sign up for a show, learn more about WRFU,
or donate.
2.	Go to www.prometheusradio.org to register for the barnraising.
There is a suggested fee, but no one will be turned away for lack of
funds!!
3.	Email Lynsee Melchi (lynsee at illinoisalumni.org) to volunteer for
the barnraising.