[Rfu-barnraising] housing questions

Hannah Sassaman hannahjs at prometheusradio.org
Thu Oct 13 10:20:43 CDT 2005

hello faith and danielle,

hannah here (at home because i have lost my keys.  drat).  just looking at the homestay survey now -- i think it does
ask the right questions and would be fine as is!  but here are a few small details we could add to the survey that
might help us out when the days of the barnraising are upon us.

my cell phone # is 267 970 4007, btw -- the best way to reach me besides email when i am not in the office (as i am
not right now as i am locked out).

very quick, the first piece of housing news is that petri is cool with
renting the crash space at the lincon (yay!).  this means that we have a
next-door emergency housing option for anyone who needs it, and we will
have many fewer headaches.  if the rest of the office approves that then
i'll fax the agreement form to the lincoln today.

i'll also be calling the churches danielle recommended, thanks for that
danielle.

SURVEY NOTES:
1)  how do people from the outside world access the survey?  do they get a URL?  just curious.  and then what is the
URL of the database that collects this information?  surveymonkey seems like a fantastic tool.

2)  between questions 12 and 13, i'd add a 4 questions along these lines:

	How late can your barnraising guests come home each night?  Please exchange contact information or provide
	a guest key to your guests if you have schedule restrictions.

		before 9pm
		before midnight
		anytime is ok!

	Can your guests bring a dog?

		yes
		no

	Are kids okay as guests your house?

		yes
		yes, only over age 7
		no, sorry!

	Is drinking okay at your house?

		yes
		no

what do you think of these?  i am happy to add these if you are swamped faith.

okay.  here are some thoughts on the email below:

On Thu, Oct 13, 2005 at 07:30:25AM -0500, faith swords wrote:
> >>1. I need to know exactly what is expected of me.

> >See attached barnraising manual - there is a housing section.  The most
> >imp thing right now is to craft an e-mail invitation for folks to provide
> >housing and inviting them to the barnraising.  Send it out to be
> >forwarded.

that's right -- and the survey is a great tool to collect information
from your soon-to-be-hosts.  keep in mind that some of them will just
not fill out the survey, so making phone calls is the next step -- call
the folks who you know have 3 guest rooms and a carpeted basement, that
kind of thing.  i can take some of those calls off your hands if the
email invitation mentions that a random crazy lady from philadephia
might be calling them.

it's my job to send you a sample spreadsheet that we've used at past
barnraisings to track housing.  between us, faith, we should work out a
good system for updating and maintaing the housing needs/housing offers
spreadsheet.  let's talk soon or over the weekend about that.

> >>2. I need to know what has happened on the housing front so far. Hannah, I
> >>guess this has been your thing so far. Do I need to speak with people at
> >>the hotel or is that all set up?
> >
> >Hotel and crash space Hannah is working on. I suggest giving Hannah a
> >call: 215-727-9620.

yep!  i have the hotel and will be posting a hotels sheet today based on
teh info you have all already sent me.  the lincoln is very friendly and
i think if we are respectful we'll do well there.  what is jumers,
though?  i have not confirmed any housing at jumers...

> >>3. I really hate to say this, y'all, but I need to know when exactly the
> >>barn-raising events are happening! I really have not been keeping track of
> >>any of this stuff!
> >
> >It's Nov 11-12 (30 days to go).

nov. 11th-13th!  so soon.

okay, more soon.  thanks to you all fo ryour hard work!

hannah s.
prometheusradioproject