[Rfu-barnraising] good news on the WiFi front!

Danielle Chynoweth chyn at ojctech.com
Sat Oct 15 11:44:06 CDT 2005

I talked to the director of the Urbana Free Library (Fred Schlipf - a real
mensch), and he is happy to make the library node the "demo node" for the
conference.  He will provide a group access to the library roof (which is
large, flat, and has easy stair access). The Library Board just signed off
on allowing the node and access point a few weeks ago.  He will be in town
the weekend of the barnraising - we should have him say a few words about
collborations between public libraries and community groups on public
access issues.  He will be coming on the roof with us.

I am contacting the city IT dept to see if they would like to use
conference volunteers to build the city's downtown community wireless
nodes which are sitting in a corner languishing as far as I can tell (no,
I am not bitter).

So here's a plan.  Volunteers during the barnraising can:

- build some city nodes with training/oversight from those in the know.
- prepare the library and farmer's market access points.
- break in two groups and mount 2 nodes on safe, flat, easily accessible
  roofs at city hall and the library and 2 access points that will serve
  the community immediately in well used outdoor spaces: farmers market
  (outside city hall) and the library courtyard.

Then when RFU goes on the air, we can send files from these two places to
demonstrate submitting pieces to air on WRFU through the community
wireless network.  We can also receive audio.

Your thoughts are welcome.

- Danielle