[Rfu-barnraising] Re: the automation question

Andrew Ó Baoill andrew at funferal.org
Wed Oct 26 14:53:22 CDT 2005

One thing I'd see as a priority is that the front end of any
automation system we choose should be easy to use without much
training. Of course, the backend should be stable and robust - we
don't want it breaking down and someone having to go in to reboot it
every few hours, or even every few days - but I think it's also
important that it not become the reserve of a few techies. Whatever
it is should be usable, at least at a simple interface basis, by
most, if not all, of those involved in the station.

Andrew

On 26 DFómh 2005, at 14:43, Andy Gunn wrote:

> maybe i should clarify more - what software package is your station
> going to be using for automation?  if you don't have any package,
> and don't want to buy one - that is fine.  there are several
> options, anything from just running winamp and having sets of
> playlists that you set up by hand, or going with a free, full
> featured linux automation package.  two of these, which are good
> (but a bit fiddly to set up), are:
> http://www.salemradiolabs.com/rivendell/
> http://www.campware.org/en/camp/livesupport_news/
> - these are something that we can set up if we have time - but i
> would advise having some linux people on staff in case the system
> has problems in the future.  we can do an impromptu linux session
> if people wish.
>
> some packages that other stations are using and are not too
> expensive are:
> http://otsdj.com/
> http://www.stationplaylist.com/
> http://www.megaseg.com/ (for mac)
>
> let me know if you have more questions.  take care!
> -a
>

> On Wed, 26 Oct 2005, gary cziko wrote:
>

>> Andy:
>>
>> This will need confirmation from others involved, but I am hoping to
>> broadcast a live webcast weekdays from 2 to 3 or 2 to 4 pm.
>>
>> Best would be a Windows XP computer with Windows Media Player and
>> System
>> Scheduler (see http://www.splinterware.com/products/wincron.htm
>> --the<http://www.splinterware.com/products/wincron.htm--the>free
>> version is fine) installed. It should obviously have its sound card
>> output connected to the console.
>>
>> Mike said there is a computer we can use for this, but I am not
>> sure if it
>> is Windows XP. NT or 2000 would also work, but then we'd have to
>> use VNC
>> instead of Remote Desktop.
>>
>> --Gary
>>
>> On 10/26/05, Andy Gunn <andy at prometheusradio.org> wrote:
>>

>>> is the station going to be using an automation system? if so,
>>> this is
>>> something we can set up during the barnraising - just let us know
>>> the
>>> details about the system. also, how many computers do y'all have
>>> for station
>>> use - we can set those up as well over the weekend.
>>>
>>> thanks,
>>> -a
>>>

> --

> |  Andy Gunn - Technical and Training Organizer  |
> | Prometheus Radio Project - prometheusradio.org |
> |    andy at prometheusradio.org   215-727-9620     |

Andrew Ó Baoill
- -
Inst. of Communications Research, U. of Illinois
Communications / Participatory media / Political action
- -
andrew at funferal.org / baoillo at uiuc.edu
aim: funferal at mac.com
+353-87-241-7003 / +1-(217) 384-3142