[Rfu-barnraising] Re: {leti} Re: the automation question

Sascha Meinrath sascha at ucimc.org
Thu Oct 27 16:44:25 CDT 2005

Hi all,

Andrew and I should go grab a beer so I can get a better feel for his concerns;
but I and other folks are definitely interested in setting up streaming.  I'm
not sure I buy that streaming would necessarily negatively impact the quality
and/or community grounding of the station -- at WEFT, we streamed for quite some
time and only stopped because the price increased.  I haven't heard of any
negative repercussions from streaming, and unless someone can make the case the
WRFU would be differentially impacted, I think WEFT provides us with a fairly
good (local) precedent.  Also, just so it's noted somewhere, we decided at last
night's Barnraising meeting to do streaming during the Barnraising, that part of
things is a go.

Either way, I think there's a core group of folks who would be very interested
in learning about streaming and how to set this sort of system up -- so we
should definitely do that.  Long-term, it could be that WRFU decides not to
stream their signal; however, other stations (such as WEFT) may be interested
and this is an opportunity to demonstrate how this works.  Since we already have
a server infrastructure available through the IMC, I think it makes all the
sense in the world for us to set this up for the Barnraising and see what
happens down the road.

--Sascha

Andrew Ó Baoill wrote:
> I appreciate your suggestion. However, there are numerous reasons  that
> WRFU has not yet decided to do this.
>
> First, WRFU will truly be a bare-bones station. We actually don't  have
> the cash to run our basic service, let alone to commit ourselves  to the
> additional copyright fees associated with streaming. WRFU and  the IMC
> only have limited bandwidth available, so streaming would be  a heavy
> load, or require rental of additional bandwidth.
>
> Second, some of us have concerns about the impact that streaming has  on
> the nature of a community radio station. Since WRFU is an  autonomous
> consensus-based operation, it is important that we examine  this issue
> and come to agreement among ourselves before moves are  made on this issue.
>
> Third, about those concerns. Jon Bekken, in an essay in Seizing the
> Airwaves, mentions in passing the impact that increased power (and
> therefore range) has on the role that a community station plays,  using
> our local WEFT as an example. Not all the concerns raised there  follow
> through to internet streams, but many do. With all due  respect, WRFU is
> a station for Urbana, not for the next town over. As  far as I am
> concerned, we are concerned, primarily, with providing  space for
> self-expression by members of our community. Some see  community radio
> as more concerned with providing content to  listeners, and in this case
> streaming to the world can be seen as a  benefit. For those who want a
> station to be firmly anchored in its  community - either in terms of
> content produced, or in being a space  in which all listeners can aspire
> to becoming an active participant,  streaming becomes more problematic.
> For some more detailed, if still  preliminary, thoughts on issues raised
> by these technologies you can  see my recent post:
> http://funferal.org/mt-archive/001098.html
> or an earlier article, concerned more particularly with digital radio
> in Europe:
> http://www.tuppenceworth.ie/ArtsEnt/radiodab.html
>
> Fourth, running a webstream for the special event that is the
> barnraising, may differ, and is something we can examine at WRFU's
> meeting this Tuesday. Of course, while it could be a useful publicity
> element of the barnraising, it could also undermine the station's
> ongoing policy, should it adopt one.
>
> Andrew
>
> On 27 DFómh 2005, at 15:49, Andy Gunn wrote:
>
>> i _highly_ recommend that you stream your signal over the  internet.
>> if you don't, you are cutting out a potentially huge  audience.  your
>> signal is only 100 watts, so people in even the  next town over may
>> not be able to hear you.  with a stream - they  will have the option
>> of tuning in at least when they are by a  computer with an ethernet
>> connection.
>>
>> i really think the fees are minimal - a few hundred dollars a  year.
>> i know many stations that stream without any legal troubles
>> whatsoever, and some of them don't pay the fees at all.

> [...]

Sascha Meinrath
Policy Analyst    *  Project Coordinator  *  President
Free Press       *** CU Wireless Network *** Acorn Active Media
www.freepress.net *  www.cuwireless.net   *  www.acornactivemedia.com