[Rfu-barnraising] Re: {leti} Re: the automation question

Andrew Ó Baoill andrew at funferal.org
Thu Oct 27 17:50:59 CDT 2005

As I mentioned to Sascha off-list, I hadn't realized that the
streaming issue would be raised again at last night's meeting. We had
decided, a few weeks ago, to leave the issue of streaming to one side
until after the barnraising - reflecting also my understanding of
WRFU's current position - so I didn't realize it would be back on the
agenda. [My apologies, by the way, for my absence - my students
wanted their grades, and they wanted them NOW!] I've dropped leti
from the extensive cc: list, as this is more of an non-techie
internal discussion.

The WEFT case I quoted was an analysis of WEFT's decision to increase
power, serving a larger area, so as I said it is not completely
analogous, but some of the same arguments can be raised. The Bekken
article, which I recommend to anyone interested in community media,
is available online at:
http://www.infoshop.org/texts/seizing/bekken.html

My concerns with streaming are multiple, though not necessarily
absolute, and go to the issue of what the role of a community station
is, something on which reasonable people can differ, and how
structures will impact content, a possible topic for many
dissertations ;-).

Further, however, there's the question of who should decide whether
WRFU will be a streaming operation - Prometheus staff, the
Barnraising ad hoc group, CUWiN, or WRFU itself. To say that we'll
set up streaming at the Barnraising and "see what happens down the
road" seems a rather strong impingement on WRFU's autonomy and self-
determination, though I fully realize it is not intended as such.

I'm open to persuasion on the issue of streaming, but want to make
sure the decision is made 'right way around.' Purely on a practical
basis, given our current funding situation, I don't think it's
something we should embark on now.

Oh, and I'll definitely take Sascha up on that offer of grabbing a
beer to talk these things over! :-)

Andrew

--
Andrew Ó Baoill