[Rfu-barnraising] Re: Proposal for WRFU webcasting

Andrew Ó Baoill andrew at funferal.org
Fri Oct 28 12:09:56 CDT 2005

Phil,

Thanks for putting a proposal together. Four thoughts occur to me:
* My concerns about the impact of being webcast on the type of
content people will tend to produce generally relate more to talk-
based programming.
* Many of our talk-based programming will actually have a mix of
music and talk.   This proposal will only allow those shows that have
no music whatsoever.
* Taking a webstream up and down on an ongoing basis is akin to going
on and off air continually. This would be very confusing for online
listeners.
* My thought is that podcasting - putting static recordings of
individual shows online, which can be downloaded - makes more sense
online, as it is a more 'web-native' technology. That is, it takes
advantage not just of the collapsing of distance facilitated by the
internet (which I discuss in the first point above) but also removes
the time-boundedness of scheduling. [OK, time-boundedness isn't a
word, but I think you get the point!]

Some other brief notes on the overall discussion:
* There's an important distinction between local streaming on CUWiN
and streaming on the internet. Streaming on CUWiN, being local, would
not trigger my fears about damaging our conception of community
(though, like others, I would prefer a focus on facilitating in-bound
content, which can be redistributed, rather than a focus on the
'broadcast' element.)

Streaming online is a different matter. First, it doesn't seem
necessarily anchored in any of the involved working groups, since
WRFU's stream would, most naturally, go direct from our studio, by
wire to our internet connection. It could be seen to fall under the
tech working group, but they haven't been involved in this discussion
to date. Second, it raises the various points I raised above in
relation to conceptualizing target community.

* Pete has just added some interesting notes. I'd agree with much of
his analysis, but disagree with some of his conclusions. He deals
with two issues. First, copyright, which I'll leave to one side.
Second, the strategic value to the community media movement of
establishing online bulkheads. While digitization is very much
happening, in several forms, it is important not just that community
media have a space in the future, but that we consider how we want to
shape that future. In this regard internet streaming is only one
possible option, and I've given arguments as to why it may not be a
favoured option.

Andrew

--
Andrew Ó Baoill