[Rfu-barnraising] RE: {leti} Re: Proposal for WRFU webcasting

Phil Stinard pstinard at hotmail.com
Fri Oct 28 12:23:24 CDT 2005

Thanks for your thoughtful reply, Andrew.  I'll comment on a few of your
observations below:

>From: Andrew Ó Baoill <andrew at funferal.org>
>To: leti <leti at lists.prometheusradio.org>,rfu barnraising
><rfu at lists.chambana.net>
>Subject: {leti} Re: Proposal for WRFU webcasting
>Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2005 12:09:56 -0500
>
>Phil,
>
>Thanks for putting a proposal together. Four thoughts occur to me:
>* My concerns about the impact of being webcast on the type of  content
>people will tend to produce generally relate more to talk- based
>programming.
>* Many of our talk-based programming will actually have a mix of  music and
>talk.   This proposal will only allow those shows that have  no music
>whatsoever.
>* Taking a webstream up and down on an ongoing basis is akin to going  on
>and off air continually. This would be very confusing for online
>listeners.
>* My thought is that podcasting - putting static recordings of  individual
>shows online, which can be downloaded - makes more sense  online, as it is
>a more 'web-native' technology. That is, it takes  advantage not just of
>the collapsing of distance facilitated by the  internet (which I discuss in
>the first point above) but also removes  the time-boundedness of
>scheduling. [OK, time-boundedness isn't a  word, but I think you get the
>point!]

I agree that podcasting news, information, and talk makes more sense if our
webcasting would otherwise be intermittent.  With podcasting, people could
get the programming they want, when they want it.

>Some other brief notes on the overall discussion:
>* There's an important distinction between local streaming on CUWiN  and
>streaming on the internet. Streaming on CUWiN, being local, would  not
>trigger my fears about damaging our conception of community  (though, like
>others, I would prefer a focus on facilitating in-bound  content, which can
>be redistributed, rather than a focus on the  'broadcast' element.)

How would local streaming on CUWiN work?  Would it mean that local people
inside concrete buildings could listen to WRFU on their computers without
violating the DMCA regulations and without paying licensing fees?

--Phil