[Rfu-barnraising] Re: {leti} Re: the automation question

Donovan Finn dfinn at uiuc.edu
Fri Oct 28 14:42:39 CDT 2005

Sorry all, I've been travelling and just read 104 (seriously) emails, many of which
relate to streaming. I saw one mail that suggested we take the conversation offline,
but that didn't seem to end it, so I will weigh in here as I won't be back in town for a
few more days.

I am frankly STUPIFIED at the opposition to streaming. As I stated months ago, I
think it's a critical part of the picture here. I will refute a couple points that were
raised by various people in earlier mails. I've lost track of who said what at this
point:

1-Podcasting. My understanding is that copyrighted music (most of what RFU will
play) cannot be podcast(ed). Period. Seems that's out, except for talk.

2-"RFU is to serve the Urbana community." I completely disagree. What is the
"Urbana" community? At the VERY least, we are trying to serve the communities of
Urbana, Champaign, Savoy and the U of I, if not the whole county. Am I mistaken?
Are we not the "UCIMC?" We don't even know if the on-air signal will reach
downtown Champaign, let alone further. Hell, we can't even say if it will get to all of
Urbana.

3- Terrestrial radio vs web. I understand the argument put forth that terrestrial
radio is accessable to a lot of people who cannot afford web access. Agreed, but I
never said to ONLY webcast. I can almost guarantee that 75% of the people under 25
years old in this town do not own an FM radio unless it is in their car. Some/many of
these folks are people we would want to be able to pick up our signal, no? But most
of that 75% do have easy access to the web. If I was saying we should ONLY
webcast, I would hope that you all would call me an idiot and insensititive to the
mission of the IMC. But I'm not doing that.

4 - Lastly, as Petri noted, the terrestrial license and the web are not really
associated, and the guidelines and repurcussions are slim if existent at all. Plus,
let's be frank here, they have to catch you first.

5- I find it frankly humourous that we are constantly deferring to Prometheus --
"they're the experts we should do what they say" and now when they are
overwhlemingly suggesting we stream RFU we are backing off? Why?

If this debate drags out forever, fine, but I think we are being very shortsighted if we
don't at least prepare for the possibility while we have a blank slate and the
technical expertise to do it. If we don't ever turn it on, then fine, but if we (OR OUR
SUCCESSORS down the road) decide to do it later, we should make it as easy as
possible.

--donovan