[Rfu-barnraising] About webcasting WRFU

Phil Stinard pstinard at hotmail.com
Sat Oct 29 16:37:19 CDT 2005

Hello,

While we were helping out with the IMC construction this morning, Ray,
Burnell, Chris, and I got into a discussion about webcasting.  I can't speak
for the others, but I'll give my impression of the discussion, because we
raised some important and interesting points.  We pretty much concurred that
we're in favor of webcasting WRFU.  Even though we are a community station,
people outside Champaign/Urbana might be interested in our local viewpoint,
whether it's former Urbanites who have moved away, people who might be
interested in moving to the area, or just people websurfing to find out what
things are like here.  We don't think that webcasting will cause us to lose
our local flavor or cater to more cosmopolitan tastes.  It's just an extra
tool to get our message out to more people.

However, if we webcast music, we think that it's important to abide by the
DMCA regulations and pay the fees.  Chris told a few cautionary tales about
how if someone is out to get you, they'll use any means necessary.  That is,
if someone doesn't like UCIMC, they'll be watching us and looking out for
rule violations.  It's not paranoia, it's just common sense.  We're not
"just another community radio station" that people won't be paying attention
to.  We're affiliated with a progressive news organization, UCIMC, that is a
thorn in the side of neoconservatives, and there are some people that just
don't like that.  I think that we should adopt the station regulations
presented by Norman Stockwell for WORT in Madison.  That means that people
need to abide by the DMCA regulations, and turn off webcasting for their
program if it is in violation.  I strongly believe that we should not
gratuitously violate the regulations.  Would anyone else like to weigh in on
this?

--Phil