[Rfu-barnraising] wireless

Danielle Chynoweth chyn at ojctech.com
Wed Sep 28 18:18:15 CDT 2005

i talked to dave young who is the technical lead for (CUWiN). i asked dave
three questions about wireless at the barnraising since we need to
spend some time figuring out how to bring wireless into the fold.  i know
sascha has already send some ideas to the list.  what follows are
additional ideas (in QA format):

DC: What can volunteers do to help build wireless capacity at the
barnraising?

DY:
1) Set up wireless access to the IMC DSL line through the IMC building.
2) Set up a node on the 35' RFU antenna on the roof.
3) Perhaps the city could use help constructing their nodes, although
volunteers some times fuck it up, like they did during our node
construction party on a fraction of our nodes.

DC: What role do you want to play at the barnraising?

DY: Offer a DIY networking workshop - a whimsical look at crazy shit you
can do with wireless, cable, and internet protocol.  I do not want to put
out fires when shit doesn't work.

DC: Will the CUWiN network (see http://meshsandbox.com/cuwin.html) be able
to stream the RFU signal on November 13th so we can demonstrate LPFM
broadcasting over a local wireless mesh network?

DY: Probably.  We need to bring someone with audio streaming expertise in
and test it at the end of October.

- danielle